No internet connection, multiple devices

Verodoxys

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
(I'm typing this from my phone so I apologize if I make a typo or 2!)

For the past 12 hours or so, I've been having a strange problem with my network - no devices (Windows desktops to phones, wired or wireless) are able to connect to the internet. Windows' troubleshooter has given me numerous responses, from not being able to identify the problem to 'Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS Server)'.

I've tried restarting all devices and my modem and router. This problem still occurs if my PC is directly connected via ethernet cable to the modem. The issue went away after I stopped using any of my devices for 2 hours or so, but returned within 30 minutes.

Anyone know what's up? I'll be more than happy to provide any more information. Thanks!

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
This may sound stupid, but unplug the router and wait a full 30 seconds before plugging it back in again. If that doesn't work, or it works and then later it doesn't, when it starts not working, tell me what the lights on the front are doing and what the writing beneath/above them says e.g. adsl is flashing, WLAN is flashing etc.

jetfighter545

Reputable
May 20, 2015
At best the ISP will say something like 'We'll have someone down there in a few days.'. Anyway, I think the problem is either a faulty router (rare and unlikely) or your ISP. If it is your ISP, when you call them they will either fix it straightaway or tell you to wait. Not sure we can do much about it.

Verodoxys

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
No answer is stupid if it helps!

Unplugging the router, waiting and then plugging it back in again did not fix the issue. The power LED is on, as one would expect, and the System, Wirelezz 2.4GHz and Wireless 5GHz are flashing, indicating no issues. The Ethernet lights are reacting properly (active PCs are flashing here), and the Internet light is flashing. No devices have any connection to the internet, and the Windows troubleshooter says "The DNS server is not responding."

Thanks for the help so far.

Verodoxys

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
I apologize for not making this clear in my last reply, but one of the PCs connected to the router via Ethernet was saying the DNS server was not responding. My personal PC is connected by WiFi and the troubleshooter there cannot identify the problem.

Verodoxys

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Just got off the phone with my ISP - long story short, I was told something was wrong with my router. I'm almost certain it's out of the warrantee period, as we've had it for years. I really don't have the money for a new router right now - is there anything I might be able to fix with my router?

Thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan

Without knowing what, if anything, is actually wrong with it...
Completely unknown.

So, to investigate:

What type of service do you have? DSL, cable, other
Do you have a modem AND a router, or is it all one box?
Do you rent this from the ISP?