No internet connection whatsoever when ethernet cable is plugged in on laptop

nihaalrk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
My laptop has been having internet issues lately. Wifi is working perfectly fine when I am close to the router, but the second that I plug in an ethernet cable, after a few seconds, I lose internet connection. This happens even if I am still connected to wifi; the ethernet cable stops any and all connection after about 10 seconds. This started happening seemingly randomly a few days ago, and ethernet has happened to work once or twice since then but every other time it doesn't. I've tried many things such as different ethernet cables but I can't seem to work things out. This only happens to my laptop. All other computers have ethernet working properly, and also all drivers are updated.

It would help to know if this is more likely to be a hardware or software problem as well.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Normally when my internet doesn't work, I'd cut it off, wait 15 seconds, then cut it back on and connect.

You completely lose internet? Or does it change to the "Unidentified Network" icon? Or the "Limited Access" Icon?

nihaalrk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

When I plug the ethernet cable in, it still says that I'm connected to the internet on the bottom right (whether its to wifi or ethernet). However, the internet does not actually work

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Open command prompt and type in "ipconfig /release" (without the quotations).

Then type in "ipconfig /renew"

See if that does the trick, it should renew your IP address and allow the modem to make contact with your computer.

nihaalrk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
UPDATE: Well just now the opposite thing started happening. Now, internet only works if I have an ethernet cable plugged in. If this stops working I'll try the "ipconfig /renew" thing.

nihaalrk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

Nope doesn't work..
Is this probably a software issue because yesterday ethernet was working fine and wifi wasn't, and now ethernet doesn't work again?

Rithu

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

my laptop shows "Unidentified Network" icon can u help?