[SOLVED] No internet connection with VPN installed - The VPN doesn't even need to be running, happened with both Express VPN and Pure VPN

Feb 16, 2020
I have been trying to use a VPN for a while now (PC running Windows 10). I have tried out Express VPN and Pure VPN and have had the same issue with both VPN providers. Everything will work fine for a couple days after installing the VPN and then one day I'll just not be able to connect to the internet. My network just shows as connected, no internet even if the VPN software is not running.

Uninstalling the VPN software and reinstalling it seems to be the only way of consistently fixing the issue. Sometimes a restart of the PC will also resolve the issue.

I have tried doing a network reset and an reinstall of the VPN software. It works fine for a bit and then I face this issue again. I thought it was just a quirk with Express VPN so I switched to Pure VPN and I have found I get the same issue.

It's so odd because even if the VPN is not connected I get this problem. What's more, the issue is apparent on the log in screen of Windows when I start the PC on the log in screen if I click the network on the bottom right of the screen it will show my network as connected, no internet.

I am running Windows 10, connected via an Ethernet cable which goes through a power plug. My ISP is Sky and I am using their router.

This is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
This is one of those frustrating things with the vpn clients. Be happy you did not try out of the so called free ones. Those tend to not uninstall cleanly.

I used to have to stop and restart the vpn client and some of those were processes and not just simple programs.

This was one of the key reasons I started running vpn on the router. The vpn client is router software and not vendor stuff so it tends to be more stable. That said the vpn client will a times just disconnect for no reason but it is just a matter of reconnecting.
This is one of those frustrating things with the vpn clients. Be happy you did not try out of the so called free ones. Those tend to not uninstall cleanly.

I used to have to stop and restart the vpn client and some of those were processes and not just simple programs.

This was one of the key reasons I started running vpn on the router. The vpn client is router software and not vendor stuff so it tends to be more stable. That said the vpn client will a times just disconnect for no reason but it is just a matter of reconnecting.

Solution