Question "No internet" error with USB WiFi adapter ?

yflpov

Honorable
Jan 22, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm using an external WiFi adapter - Asus USB AC 68 - but as of recently I'm getting a lot of "No internet" errors.

I was getting those errors in the beginning as well - the issue was the adapter was overheating, added a fan and that was solved. Then, every 20-30 hours I would lose connection to the main WiFi and get an error "No internet". It would be temporarily fixed with a PC restart but eventually was "solved" by disabling the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting under Device Manager -> WiFi adapter -> Power management.

That was working well for a couple of months and now I can't get my WiFi adapter to connect to the main internet network and hold the connection reliably for more than a short period of time (sometimes as short as 2 min and sometimes as long as 5 hrs - it's really inconsistent). Sometimes it gets "fixed" temporarily if I plug the adapter in a different USB port (doesn't seem to matter if its a mobo or case port) but works only rarely. The rest of the time I get rid of the error by restarting the PC.

The WiFi adapter itself appears to work fine as I tested it on another PC. I also disabled the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting under Power management for all USB devices which didn't seem to make a difference at all.

The mobo is Asus H81M-C, OS is Win10 Pro N.

Thanks to all who help!
Cheers

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys,

I'm using an external WiFi adapter - Asus USB AC 68 - but as of recently I'm getting a lot of "No internet" errors.

I was getting those errors in the beginning as well - the issue was the adapter was overheating, added a fan and that was solved. Then, every 20-30 hours I would lose connection to the main WiFi and get an error "No internet". It would be temporarily fixed with a PC restart but eventually was "solved" by disabling the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting under Device Manager -> WiFi adapter -> Power management.

That was working well for a couple of months and now I can't get my WiFi adapter to connect to the main internet network and hold the connection reliably for more than a short period of time (sometimes as short as 2 min and sometimes as long as 5 hrs - it's really inconsistent). Sometimes it gets "fixed" temporarily if I plug the adapter in a different USB port (doesn't seem to matter if its a mobo or case port) but works only rarely. The rest of the time I get rid of the error by restarting the PC.

The WiFi adapter itself appears to work fine as I tested it on another PC. I also disabled the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting under Power management for all USB devices which didn't seem to make a difference at all.

The mobo is Asus H81M-C, OS is Win10 Pro N.

Thanks to all who help!
Cheers
Maybe the original overheating kill it.

yflpov

Honorable
Jan 22, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion but I used it successfully for a couple of months after the heat issue was addressed. I will likely do an OS reinstall from scratch as I was considering it due to other factors anyway and report back on any progress.

Best