[SOLVED] No internet on existing Wi-Fi. Cloned but using original drive

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
So I was doing some testing of cloning windows to new drives. I cloned my nvme to a sata SSD. Swapped them over to check clone works ok. Clone worked fine including internet connectivity. Then I swapped back to just having my original nvme drive in the system.
It booted up fine and everything seems to be working but I can't connect to my home wifi and get internet. It will connect to the network but something is failing and I'm not actually getting an internet connection.
I can connect to other networks like my phone hotspot fine.
I think maybe something changed with the connection to the router when I booted into the clone and now the original isn't playing nice with the router.
I tried some basic ipconfig release renew flushdns etc but I'm very rusty on my network troubleshooting.
Any help appreciated.

Solution
I would start by uninstalling the wireless adapter's drivers and then manually reinstalling it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. I'd also try and make sure that the motherboard's BIOS is up to date as well(although you can neglect that for the time being).

Lutfij

Titan
I would start by uninstalling the wireless adapter's drivers and then manually reinstalling it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. I'd also try and make sure that the motherboard's BIOS is up to date as well(although you can neglect that for the time being).

Reactions: danko12321
Solution

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
It's strange though because it is connecting other networks fine. The driver and bios shouldn't be affected.
EDIT: I did try this in the end as I was grasping at straws and it seems that forgetting the network in windows, fully uninstalling the wireless driver, rebooting, then reinstalling the driver and reconnecting to the network has resolved my issue. It's finally got a new local IP. Thanks!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS