No internet on Toshiba Satellite laptop "Unknown network"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsjeffyg

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I am using Windows 10 and a ubee modem from Time Warner Cable. Everything was good. Caught the end of a message from AVG software - some kind of virus. Lost internet. Laptop finds modem, but it ends up with "Unknown network".

I get internet on cell phone and my iPod Touch (not a phone). I cannot get any wifi connect on laptop. Also, when I try to connect ethernet cable from modem, I get the same error "Uknown network".

Any help here?

Solution
Well first I am assuming you scanned the computer and removed whatever virus it was. You might want to also run a program to check for malware as well.

Then try this....

First, make sure your laptop is 'not' connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet cable and follow the steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you...
Well first I am assuming you scanned the computer and removed whatever virus it was. You might want to also run a program to check for malware as well.

Then try this....

First, make sure your laptop is 'not' connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet cable and follow the steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

And yes I know other devices are working on it fine, but it is very common for all devices to work just fine and one have issues, leading to the modem/router needing to be rebooted to fix it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.