Question No internet when connected to the internet

ChocoMuffin

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
My internet has always been bad with packet loss every day and insane lag spikes but now it's at the point where the internet goes out completely. I'm talking on discord and my internet just goes out I'm still connected but it says "No internet." To reconnect I disconnect and reconnect and I have my usual laggy internet again. I think it has to do with my motherboard's wifi card, I can't use it at all it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting so I use a usb wireless adapter and have my wifi card disabled in the device manager. I'm not sure if it affects anything since it's disabled. I've also tested whether or not by wifi adapter is the problem by using two, one at a time, and using both I've encountered the same problems. I checked to see if this was a problem with my phone so I connected it to the wifi and it seems to only be my computer so I'm thinking it's a hardware problem. I looked online and followed a bunch of video guides on how to fix it but they didn't work. I've scanned for viruses and ran CCleaner not sure if that helped but I did it anyway. Also I don't have access to my router which kinda sucks. I just want to find the problem so I know what I need to fix so any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
MSI x470 GAMING PLUS Mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 RAM
Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Dumb question but did you try your phone from the same area as your PC? Are there other devices in the area of the PC that are on WiFi (i.e. gaming consoles, smart TV's) and do they work?. It could be you're not in direct line of sight because there is metal inside your wall, either the house framework, piping etc. that is creating a sort of Faraday cage between you and your router, and you're getting reflected signals from other areas of the house, as the wall is effectively blocking your WiFi.

The only solution would be if this was the case, is to route around it physically with a LAN Cable, or create a MESH WiFi network that will bounce the full signal around the blockages and into the area with your PC. MESH is not that cost effective where i'm from just yet, so if its the same for you, the other option would be to physically move your router and test for the best spots. If this doesnt work, then there is something wrong with the PC itself, which is another can of worms entirely.

ChocoMuffin

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
Dumb question but did you try your phone from the same area as your PC? Are there other devices in the area of the PC that are on WiFi (i.e. gaming consoles, smart TV's) and do they work?. It could be you're not in direct line of sight because there is metal inside your wall, either the house framework, piping etc. that is creating a sort of Faraday cage between you and your router, and you're getting reflected signals from other areas of the house, as the wall is effectively blocking your WiFi.

The only solution would be if this was the case, is to route around it physically with a LAN Cable, or create a MESH WiFi network that will bounce the full signal around the blockages and into the area with your PC. MESH is not that cost effective where i'm from just yet, so if its the same for you, the other option would be to physically move your router and test for the best spots. If this doesnt work, then there is something wrong with the PC itself, which is another can of worms entirely.
Yeah I tested my phone in the same area but there are other computers one in the living room and in another bedroom, both of them work so I thought it was my computer. Also this problem happened recently and I hadn't changed anything so I figured it was either my router or my computer but mostly my computer since the other computers were working fine. I'm not really sure how the house is built but from where my room is to where the router is I don't think there are any pipes blocking a signal because my phone seemed to work fine but If I get access to my router I will try to move it.

TRENDING THREADS