No Internet with Router after new Modem

severynbrewer

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
My ISP told me my old modem was end of life so I purchased a new one. I had a Motorola Surfboard 6121 and I bought a Arris Surfboard 6190. I've had the same router (Asus AC3100 RT-AC88U). I have had no issues previously until I bought the new modem. I have internet access when connected just to the modem directly to my PC with my correct speeds. Then when I connect my modem and router together and connect my PC into the router my network adapter has a yellow exclamation point and says "no internet access". I also am unable to log into my router. I have factory reset the router several times and it will allow me to attempt setup but after inputing new username/password it freezes and internet access goes away. I try to run ipconfig on cmd prompt and it doesnt show a default gateway and when I type 192.168.1.1 into my browser it says "no internet access" again. I have called Comcast and complained and they have told me its not an issue on their end. I just purchased this router in January 2017 and would hope that it hasnt already failed. I also have upgraded to the newest firmware and Im on Merlin. Please offer any help necessary. I would love to be able to have Wifi again so I can use my other devices besides just my desktop.

I would completely disconnect the router from the modem and then see if you can configure the router. It should let you set everything up and if you were to reboot your PC it should give it a ip via dhcp.

If it doesn't then you have a issue with the router that just by poor luck happened when you were messing with the modem.

Unless the router has a hardware issue it has to be firmware bug. It is a pain to replace the firmware if you can not get into the screens but there is a way to set it to recovery mode. You can download the recovery stuff from asus. I would try to load the latest factory image on it first and then try to load a different merlin image.

Although it is a pain asus has pretty good warranty on their routers, I think the high end ones have 2 years

severynbrewer

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
I ended up just giving up and buying a new Netgear Nighthawk router and it solved all of my issues. I loved the Asus router but 2 days of resetting and troubleshooting killed my hope of it ever working again.