no ip address

my Windows xp pro suddenly stopped connecting to the internet
the problem is I have no ip address
when running ipconfig it gives value 0000 for ip address
what could have gone wrong, virus?
and can anyone help me solve the problem
thanks

"yaffe" <yaffe@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> my Windows xp pro suddenly stopped connecting to the internet
> the problem is I have no ip address
> when running ipconfig it gives value 0000 for ip address
> what could have gone wrong, virus?
> and can anyone help me solve the problem
> thanks

Go to Start, Run, type CMD. In the command prompt type "ipconfig /renew"
(note the space).

Either you will get an new IP address or a clue as to why you can't. Pay
attention to full text of error messages.

It can be as simple as a loose cable, including power to the router or
cable/dsl modem, depending on how you are connecting.

HTH
-pk

Hi

Dial-up or Broadband connection? Have you checked with your ISP to see if
they have any problems? You may be better off posting to the Network_Web
News Group:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web or
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"yaffe" <yaffe@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> my Windows xp pro suddenly stopped connecting to the internet
> the problem is I have no ip address
> when running ipconfig it gives value 0000 for ip address
> what could have gone wrong, virus?
> and can anyone help me solve the problem
> thanks

TRENDING THREADS