Question No IPv6 connectivity, either Wired or Wireless ?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi. I have ISP's modem that is configured as bridge and connects to wireless router that obtains IPv6 address on auto. It successfully propagates IPv6 to smartphones and tablets but not to my laptop. It has the following adapters installed:

• DW1530 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
  • Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
What I tried so far:
  • Restart PC and Internet device
  • Temporarily disable third-party security software (if applicable)
  • Uninstall VPN client (if applicable)
  • Run Network Troubleshooter
  • Release/Renew IP, reset Winsock and flush DNS
  • Update Network card drivers - Haven't tried
  • Disable IP Helper service
  • Set Network Adapter to HT mode - No such option
  • Set IP and DNS address to Automatic - it was automatic always
  • Disable/enable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP / IPv6)
Thanks

Last edited:
Why do you need IPv6.

I tend to recommend turning it off. For some reason many sites get poor performance using ipv6. It many times follows a different path in the internet than IPv4.

The other reason I dislike it is it allows you to be tracked even more since each device many times has its mac address embedded in the ipv6 address.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@bill001g Broader compatibility and since my ISP now offers it. Didn't know node path is different with IPv6. Maybe once the protocol will be there it will be faster and have optimized routes? In what exactly poor performance manifests itself?

I don't know why IPv6 doesn't work better. A huge number of servers/sites are still IPv4 so you will run a mix of ipv4 and ipv6. I have not spent a lot of time digging around as to why the path is different for IPv6.

From what I've seen here many people complain about some sites stalling but other sites working fine and poor performance and turning off IPv6 fixed that. Also the overhead in IPv6 is much more per packet so things like downloads will be about 10% slower if I remember the number correctly.

So far I have not found any reason to recommend using ipv6 over ipv4. Back years ago they were worried about lack of IP addresses but it seems there is no big downside to carrier based nat, very few people actually need their own IPv4 address. As more companies move there servers to cloud based solution the usage of IPv4 address is actually slightly less.

So that is kinda why I always people why they need it. Most people don't know why. There are a tiny number of sites in asia that only used IPv6 but there are ways around that using a proxy or something I forget.

Reactions: Boris_yo
I have issues with some websites and games not loading with ipv6 turned on. Also when doing some port forwards for specific applications, it causes your port forwards to not work. So I turn it off on the router and all the issues instantly disappear.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Back years ago they were worried about lack of IP addresses but it seems there is no big downside to carrier based nat, very few people actually need their own IPv4 address.

Oh no. Not that. Not carrier-grade NAT. I have been there. The whole neighborhood shares same public IPv4 including spammers. Then you out of nowhere start receiving reCaptcha checks and whatnot. Also I would appear on more spam lists databases and be instantly banned from forum I just registered on a minute ago.

I moved away from CG-NAT ISP and have dynamic public IPv4. Sometimes I do receive these checks but at least I can enable DDNS and access my server or camera or IoT stuff at home from the internet.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
When it was invented nobody predicted the tracking and collection of information having a unique id one every single device would be a security/privacy issue.

Engineers probably didn't expect how bad things will get with privacy and surveillance. Eventually the big brother will take our freedoms, privacy and IPv4 as a bonus turning us into sitting ducks without privacy and slow IPv6.

Not sure if you tried updating/reinstalling windows on your other motherboard.

Last time I looked motherboards barely understand the ethernet packets. Some have some hardware checksum thing but I don't think they do anything with any kind of ip address either v4 or v6.

I would bet it was some garbage in windows. Microsoft has added so much bloatware to windows they mess stuff up all the time lately.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Not sure if you tried updating/reinstalling windows on your other motherboard.

Last time I looked motherboards barely understand the ethernet packets. Some have some hardware checksum thing but I don't think they do anything with any kind of ip address either v4 or v6.

No. Still same storage device with no changes.
What do you mean motherboards barely understand the ethernet packets?

I was trying to avoid a detailed discussion on network layer. This is a link to basic image of that.
http://cisconetworkingbasics.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-osi-network-model-what-you-need-to.html

The motherboard is hardware so it and the ethernet port are layer 1.
The bios on the motherboard and the ethernet chip have a small part of the layer 2 but not all of it. The rest is in the device driver in the OS
Layer 3 is where you get the concept of IP addresses .

Layer 3 is being done by the OS you loaded when you boot. The motherboard itself can only really communicate at the hardware level.

In the end since IPv6 is a layer 3 concept it has to be a change in something related to the OS. It generally is in the device driver you load which does the majority of the layer 2 and layer 3 functions.

What this means is changing the motherboard can not directly affect IPv6 support. It is more a technicality since indirectly the motherboard swap caused you to make changes to the OS which is what fixed it.