No keyboard detected, USB device over current status detected!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocketfullanut

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
So i just built a pc for my little brother, and i went to boot it up and i cant get into the bios because it says;
No keyboard detected.
USB device over current status detected.
Then shuts down after 15 seconds

Im really not sure what that means, I did a little research and everyone that seems to have had the problem just unplugged there front USB port. I did this and didnt get the results i wanted. The mobo is a used mobo and the last time i checked it worked just fine. From what i can tell its mounted as it should be, but maybe its shorting out? If all else fails i can get a new mobo i would just like to save some coin if i can.

I have no idea how to tell if the mobo is shorting out or not, i used two brass fittings on the bottom. The rest of the motherboard is mounted right on to the elevated little screw holes that the case has. Im not sure if thats causing it to short out or not. It wouldnt make sense if that was the case. Its an older motherboard.

Im also using HDMI to connect to the monitor through the graphics card, dont know if that has something to do with it?

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131669

That board has PS/2 connectors on it also. Have your tried a PS/2 keyboard or another USB keyboard first? Can you reset the BIOS via jumper near the battery? The error indicates that a USB device is drawing too much electrical current. Do you get this same error without any USB device connected?

Pocketfullanut

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Yeah i tried a ps/2 keyboard and yes i get the error without anything connected to it. Im guessing it is shorting out somewhere? By the looks of it the backplate prongs are not touching anything.

Pocketfullanut

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Idk how though. Because of the elevated screw holes? It wouldn't work because the standoffs match up in height wise with the elevated screw holes. There is also a brass little spike that pokes through a screw hole. I have never seen on of those before.

he shouldn't need more standoffs..... You should be able to turn that board on, outside of a case(no standoffs). A true "short" would most likely prevent any boot-up/POST. Maybe you try this next.... I know it is a real pain the @$$ but if you still get the error, you have an issue with your main board or PSU. I believe most PSU over current protections prevent bootup/POST also. The main-board's power management utility may be malfunctioning... or working as intended. were you able to reset the BIOS?

Pocketfullanut

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Nope. Couldn't reset the bios. I would hope it isn't the psu since its brand new. I have the board out of the case now. For a psu I have a corsair. Cx500w. I'm really not sure what to do here haha

Pocketfullanut

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I tried that already, still nothing. I went ahead and bought a gigabyte mobo.

1337rofl

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
I know that this thread is pretty old but I had this problem and fixed it in an unusual way.
Maybe someone with the problem will stumble upon this thread and be saved..
Please note that I do not know the correct names for the parts I'm about to talk about.

So I was messing around in my case, placing and replacing video cards, ram etc.
I connected my power cable to the PC to turn it on and it gave me the over current status message.
Then I looked down to my floor and I saw a really small blue square material with 2 pins in it.
Then I looked in my motherboard and saw that there were multiple places on the motherboard that has 3 "needles" with the blue squares covering the last 2 "needles".
I basically looked for 3 empty needles, covered the last 2 needles with the blue little cover I found on the floor, and my PC worked again. So it really shouldn't be anything with the USB ports if they worked before..

TL;DR: Check motherboard for 3 naked pins with no blue cap on the last 2, and cover them with a cap.

It would help if someone clarifies what the name of these needles / pins and the blue caps are.

Hope I helped someone..

They are called jumpers and they sit over two of the three pins ("needles" as you call them) in order to short out those which aren't required. You may have solved one problem, accidentally, but could possibly have caused another so keep an eye on the system, particularly temperatures.

It's time to close this old thread now but please start a new one if you start having problems. This one will still be visible and if necessary, you can link to it in your new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS