No LAN for Diablo III Too?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. If you don't have time to play it online, how the hell does organizing a LAN party take less time?

When we have a day off instead of everybody being alone at their homes playing online, we get together and play at a LAN, and have real person contact, how that does not make any sence?, you must be 30 and live with your parents

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I'm actually 19, in college, and probably have more friends than you, but my point is that you said you didn't have much time to play online, so instead you have LAN parties. That doesn't save time, it takes more time to set everything up.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Honestly if you want to play with your friends in real life, just set up a LAN and play over Battle.net. Holy shit, everyone here just wants to get the game for free or something...

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
nah, we all PASSED college and know how to enable a LAN conection realquick, many have gaming laptops so its pretty quick.

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
This is the problem with the Youngs these they, people keep taking from them and its ok with them, Its obvious they haven't fight for anything, we are in a rececion, economically , in rights, and now in LAN's!, its not whanting things for free, on the contrary, its getting more for those exagerated prices we pay for a game!

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Have you even seen gameplay footage for Diablo 3? It's mostly all fast paced arcade style game play that looks more fit for a console like XBOX360 or PS3 than it is for a PC. How could you play this game over the internet and have fun at all? A fast paced game like this that can potentially have battles that may require quick communication between players would be much more fun with your friends sitting in the same room as you.

Requiring an internet connection could be annoying for this setup. You're all there (say 7 or 8 of you) at this place with your PC's and chips and soda's and get settled in. Then you all try to connect to battle.net at the same time and try to play each other at the same time. You would need to have at least a fast Cable or Fiber connection to support this, and even these systems can have their moments. They can be like women, that time of the month always shows up at the worst times. Most DSL services would throw up all over themselves and die trying to do this. Then there is the TimeWarner and others who are planning to go to the pay per use method of charging customers. I've wondered how some of the more serious WOW players would deal with this.

What if your internet connection goes down? What if you don't have a connection? What if you don't have an adequate connection? What if you can't pay for the extra connection usage?

Too many "What if?'s" for them to make a decision like this. They might as well make it an XBOX360 title so we can just play over a LAN that way it and on Xbox Live if we want to and be done with it. The game play style probably fits this better anyways. Stupid corporate decisions!!!

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I've played computer games since the late 70's. I think it's pitiful that kids would rather play sitting all alone in a dark room than with a group of friends in a LAN party. I much prefer LAN parties because of that social interaction. Much the same reason I liked D&D. I still play Diablo 1&2 over LAN because it's more fun that way. Tried online many times and got sick of hackers, cheaters and just plain aholes who screwed with everyone instead of being serious about the game.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Well since xbox360 and ps3 are so much faster than gaming PC's it make perfect sense to make it an xbox360 title. (I'm being sarcastic obviously)

Oh by the way, Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 were on PC, just in case you didn't know.

Now anyway, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 aren't going to support LAN. Nothing you can go is going to change that. I'm going to go buy it when it comes out and the whole 16 of can sit lonely at your computer not having fun. I besides there's SOOO MANY mind blowing PC exclusives right now, how could you ever need any shitty game made by Blizard??? (sarcasm, for the dumb people)

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
^Nothing you can "do" - typo

All I have to say is that I play Diablo 2, Starcraft, and WC3 all the time at my friends house using battle.net and have never had any problem with it.

Besides, my character data for Diablo 2 is all online, why wouldn't you want to play an online RPG....online?

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Just one thing quitoman, and these is seriusly, no doble sence intended. I was your age in college when I first found starcraft 1. I was like you said you are going to be ,having fun alone in your computer and fail a whole semester because of that. be carefull with that game.

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
and to answer your last comment, you just have to had real good frineds and throw a LAN of your own and youll have your answer!

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
The point is that they could have allowed lan through very many methods/configurations and yet they didn't. I do not see how this stops piracy. Can anyone point it out to me please?? Seriously I'm asking you for a legitimate response.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Thats fine, any game which doesn't feature LAN (which will just be hacked, some sort of Hamachi thing) then I won't pay money for it. So Blizzard says "screw me"?
I say, "Screw You!"

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
[citation][nom]quitoman[/nom]LAN doesn't require a legit CD-Key.Battle.net does.Now everyone can stop being stupid.[/citation]

Are you saying that the fact that disabling LAN helps fight piracy should matter more than a little to the paying customers who want the feature? I'm sure Blizzard feels that way, and maybe a few sheep who place the Company above their own concerns feel that way, but most customers are legit, pay for a full game, only to have a feature that has been around for decades on games and both prequels stripped.

This stuff seriously pisses me off, and even if I have to go without the game I am going to. It may not make an impact, but I'll feel better not supporting such anti-consumer business practices.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I buy games because they are well made and fun, not because they don't support an optional feature. It's not like the headline said "No Multiplayer for Diablo III!"

I just find it funny that people are so stuck up about their opinion that they won't pay money for a good single player and online experience.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Playing a game seriously is an oxymoron at least! if it was serious its no longer a game and vice versa.

The point is that they could have allowed lan through very many methods/configurations and yet they didn't. I do not see how this stops piracy. Can anyone point it out to me please?

Using the battle.net service they can authenticate your copy every time you play by forcing you to log in to battle.net when you boot up the game.
However the better way to handle this would be forcing people to at least have a 56k modem and let a dedicated host as a starcraft lan server this way people would still log in to battle.net before they start playing the game but the actual server is a spare machine running local thus making it possible to run a lan game while still being able to authenticate.

I am sure if you ask them they will answer you that it still wont be pirate proof even though nothing is as there will be many ghost battle.net servers soon after the release it wont be to hard to make a script that handles a load of authentications.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
[citation][nom]quitoman[/nom]...Besides, my character data for Diablo 2 is all online, why wouldn't you want to play an online RPG....online?[/citation]

VERY much agreed. However, starcraft 2? WTF?! Even frickin Halo gives you the ability to play with friends! I really don't like comparing console to PC games, but seriously. It's like they've switched sides in a terrible way. I remember the days of playing most PS2 games in a dark room by yourself, and now it's going to turn into playing ALL Blizzard games in a dark basement with a pizza delivery entrance. The ONLY thing keeping starcraft 1 in any way alive over these years has been LAN parties. Yes, battle.net allowed you to extend the distance, but playing with guys you know and can throw an empty bottle of Bawls at accross the room is so much better. Plus, no matter how much I like playing with my buddies, i'm not paying another dime to increase my internet connection speed for their lazy butts, OR toward blizzard anymore. Looks like SC1 will continue to be the LAN game of choice...

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I think that Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 fall into different categories. I have BOUGHT both 2x(Warcraft III + exp) and 1x(Diablo 2 + exp) to support the developers.

I got tired of Diablo and I don't play it anymore, but I can say it was more fun playing on Bnet (security reasons mostly) than on lan. Warcraft III just like Starcraft 2 is a RTS for fuck's sake, it is more fun on lan parties than playing on Bnet, and playing on Bnet is very laggy to play competitively (at least from my country). So now although I have legit keys I play War III on Garena and Hamachi because it has better response times and over lan with my friends.

I won't buy Starcraft 2 although I have been eager for its release (I've seen all the gameplay videos). Sometimes people have to make a stand for keeping things they cherish and lan support for RTS games should be one of them. The only way I can think I can protest is by not buying the game, they will get the message if a lot of people do this, and maybe they will enable the patch. Boycott till they fix it. What is sad is that people will go and buy it anyways and most of them will not even now what they lose by doing so...

G

Blizzard is not going to stop me from playing LAN, I`ll find a way, or someone else will,they`ll publish it on the net, and i`ll use it. Battlenet is alright until they start charging us for "premium" services, screw that, I play diablo for single player and LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS