No LAN for Diablo III Too?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamk1101

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]coolkev99[/nom]Hey Blizzard! I think the #1 issue people have with this (besides lag) is that feeling that one day in the distant future you go to fire up a SC2 game and get "cannot find BNET server". -OR- "BNET does not support this game version, please upgrade to SC3!". SOme BS along those lines essentially making the game worthless. I for one, still load up *OLD* games from time to time and I can see this scenario happening in SC2.[/citation]

Umm... you can still play Diablo 1, and Warcraft 2 on battle.net... Every game which ever came out for Battle.net, is STILL playable on it... omg wow huh?

Jeez you people are retarded. You all must know very little about Blizzard and how much it actually does to please its user-base.

How about you all put in some extra hours over at the local Burger King and just pony up the dough for the actual game?

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I used to steal games, movies, and music. Now I've thankfully grown up and can afford to buy them. And I do! It's probably been 6 years since I've stolen anything and my conscience is the better for it.

It's all overpriced though. I wait for the sales. Video games should cost $20 or less. Movies $5 or less. Music 25 cnets a song. I think everyone charges twice as much as they used to because of the pirates.

Adamk1101

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Video games are expensive to produce, especially since graphics expectations keep going higher and higher. I have several friends in the video game business working for major developers and times are tough within their walls. I haven't pirated a game since I was a 16 year old kid and got a JOB.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]So much for me buying starcraft 2/Diablo 3. Stop smoking the weed blizzard.[/citation]

are you serious? if they smoked weed they'd realize what greedy dicks they're being by ****ing over a large group of their fans.

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]First the butchering of the Warcraft world by the greasy claws of greed and now this?So much for me buying starcraft 2/Diablo 3. Stop smoking the weed blizzard.[/citation]

You mean, stop smoking crack. Weed makes people think better therefore blizzard would never dropped the lan.

How can so many companies are so stupid this generation, it's all about greed. *sigh* I guess it is time to revolt for everything, from the gov to game companies to starbucks.

slaggat

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Adamk1101[/nom]Such stupid comments lol... I don't remember the last time I used the LAN feature in Starcraft/Warcraft and NOBODY plays Diablo without battle.net except people with pirated copies. What's the point anyways, you miss out on all the online interaction. As for those who LAN, why can't you just play through battle.net? My buddies and I get together and we play through battle.net, not LAN, so that we can play other teams of people around the world.Not everything is going to be free unfortunately, so I guess you guys just need to save up money and buy the game for a change. Upgrade your internet while you're at it, I mean... who hosts LAN parties without Internet connectivity???? Ha ha... seriously.[/citation]

such arrogance assuming that because you have the infrastructue to play on battlenet with sub 100ms ping times that the rest of the world also have that choice. ping times from my country range between 800 and 1200 ms to battlenet... would you play with that lag? could you compete with that lag? for many that want to play competitively against friends the LAN option is way faster. and yes LAN's are still big in countries where the internet infrastructure is sucky, we have monthly lans with 250+ people in a big venue... try and get an internet connection that can support 250+ users in my country? thats why even though i would personally buy my own copy of the game for single player, when i go to the lan i will be playing off a hacked copy.

harshahorizon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
After years of development and rare pc exclusive game finally is going to see light without LAN...............oh this is epic on wounder pc failing as a gaming platform,encourage piracy and consoles become industry standards these days

bayview

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Adamk1101 is obviously either a shill or a troll. There's absolutely nothing illegitimate about players wanting LAN support. On the other hand, there's something very suspicious about his railing against those who object to its omission. As for me? Big Brother Blizzard will never, not ever, period, see another of my gaming dollars. Game over.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Again, talk is cheap, you'll be whistling a whole new tune come release day. Also LAN can be a ticket to holding all pirated copies. But wait, you got four friends over, and three have the real deal, only one has a pirated copy. Its only one right? Ain't no biggie right? Wrong. Also, riddle me this. In order to hold a LAN, don't you need a...router...? And isnt there usually a...modem...of some kind attached to the WAN port of said router? So you see LAN support is no longer needed. It's really more or less a thing of the past when dial-up ruled the world.

bayview

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

This will be the last time I bother responding to you, bildo.

Point One: you can't know my mind. I can only TELL you I meant what I said. Some free advice, incidentally: assuming people DON'T mean what they say can be a poor approach to interpersonal relations. I watched someone get permanently injured that way once.

Point Two: You assume too much about other people's connections, as well as other people's intentions. I'm not a pr0 gamer, but I BUY my games and insist others do so. (What's dialup got to do with anything?)

Point Three: The omission of LAN from any game that is or should be LAN-playable is of no benefit to the player. In this case it is beneficial (arguably at least, and obviously THEY think so) to Blizzard -- exclusively. It only serves to limit the player's options and tie him permanently to dependence upon Blizzard for all multiplayer use of the software.

I have used battle.net approximately twice, ever, with Starcraft. After looking it over and considering its implications, I decided to never do so again. That was several years ago.

There are privacy implications. There are functional implications. There are implications as to financial exploit, system security, et cetera.

I won't be a pawn for commercial exploit.

So I tell you again... It's Game Over for Blizzard where I'm concerned. They've violated not only my expectations (foolish me, I had the impression they cared for their customers' power of choice) but also, and far more importantly, my principles. Dependence on battle.net is unacceptable. Period.

I may one day buy Starcraft II -- used, or from the bargain bin. If there's a LAN hack, and I know it works, I'll have no compunction about using it. In any case, I'll stay off Blizzard's radar. I don't care ever again to be tracked and profiled by a company so obviously indifferent to its customers' standards, and so obviously intent upon its own enrichment without concomitant ethical commitment.

I'm obviously not alone in my views. Blizzard may well go on making billions; it's not a just world, and consumers, in aggregate, are notoriously myopic and manipulable. But to a significant degree, Blizzard has now clearly lost valuable support from their longtime core clientele. Their decline, I suspect, has begun.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Though long winded, your well spoken. One of my point was whether you really and truly were not going to buy this game when it does release. If you do, congratulations, I can guarantee you have a stronger spine than many of the whistle blowers here.

As far as my 'dial-up' argument. I find it hard for anyone to argue against my simply but effective point. It's currently 2009, what home-use type of router (for small LAN's lets say) does not also have a modem (cable, adsl) plugged right into it, right next to it? If I were to pull out a random number, which I won't, I would guess that what I just mentioned would include a very small amount of people.

Also from a real personal experience I've known of one (I know this does not represent all), LAN Cafe, that installed many copies of a game using only a few different CD-Keys so that he wouldn't have to pay for a copy for each computer. Needless to say how do you think these 'duped' copies were still able to do multiplayer? LAN.

To keep it short though anyone who is anyone can go back and forth on this till the end of time. Of course this is just a case of the bad guys ruining the fun for everyone. For my personal preference though I don't mind such services like Bnet 2.0 or Steam. I actually think they are great in keeping a community but hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

And as far as Blizzard making oodles of money, you betcha'.

krigsmakten

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
First of all - the header should read "No LAN for Diablo III Either?" - we engineers aren't supposed to be able to write - don't perpetuate the myth.

Secondly, this reminds me of Apple's iPhone - which I have - where the Bluetooth has to be hacked to enable basic functionality. Idiocy.

The ONLY legitimate reason I can see for this decision is if they have a way to prevent cheater "mods" from being applied. Then again, that could still be made a requirement for tournament play. Ooops, I guess I killed the only valid reason I could think of.

All the folks who whimper about "it's their product, they can do what they want - don't buy it" miss the monopoly power effect - this is not another word precessor tool, there's no alternative. This is the digital version of saying that LAN folks get their drinking fountain turned off - sort of. For Blizzard (a major creator of LAN parties) to kill off that which fed them is just rude, at the very least.

2kquik

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Wow no lan support? I get together with my cousins and friends all the time for lan play for diablo 2 and starcraft broodwars. Well, you can forget about me purchasing your games for now on. Thanks a lot Blizzard I was looking forward to it too..

2kquik

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Adamk1101[/nom]Such stupid comments lol... I don't remember the last time I used the LAN feature in Starcraft/Warcraft and NOBODY plays Diablo without battle.net except people with pirated copies. What's the point anyways, you miss out on all the online interaction. As for those who LAN, why can't you just play through battle.net? My buddies and I get together and we play through battle.net, not LAN, so that we can play other teams of people around the world.Not everything is going to be free unfortunately, so I guess you guys just need to save up money and buy the game for a change. Upgrade your internet while you're at it, I mean... who hosts LAN parties without Internet connectivity???? Ha ha... seriously.[/citation]

Umm..people who have dial up and live in the country areas. We can't do anything about high speed internet access. So you can forget about dsl and cable even coming in my area. Think about others that can't get what you have. Thats why we have lan parties. My cousin's husband hosts lan parties every time there is family get togethers, so don't tell me there is not point in lan parties. Besides, there is no lag and its hell alot faster than internet will ever be. 1GB wired ethernet > 50mb download fios Yeah..

G

Every LAN party I've ever gone to has not had an internet connection, because it's just not needed. All you should need for a LAN setup is a few computers, an ethernet switch, and a shitload of cables.

There are much better ways to stop pirates.
I am not an expert, but if they had a way of creating an online activation code which is never actually shown to the user, based on a CD key which is also never actually shown to the user, it may work. If you really wanted to get paranoid, you could have the CD key printed on the receipt for the game rather than on the actual manual/CD case/etc. This forces users to actually go and buy the game legitimately, from a store* and it also makes them keep the receipt, which is always a good thing to do.
Like I said though, I don't have a lot of technical knowledge on the subject. It's just a thought.

*I know that makes it difficult for online stores, but they usually provide some kind of documentation with packages, so it could be included in that. As for lost receipts...Blizzard could always sell new keys online, or offer to replace keys for a fee.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Sorry to be messed up, but Blizzard more than likely doesn't care for what would be < 1% of its customer's base. But look on the bright-side...at least now they have Mr. T mohawk bombs in WoW to cheer you and the kids up!

G

how about no internet connection... battle net requires internet how about user that cant affort to pay mounthly for the internet how is that cool?

sherinz90

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I dont understand you guys, most of you said like you guys buy the original, so why bother the lan when all of you can play Battlenet? I thought those who get angry with no lan thingy should be those who didnt buy original? Why does this bothers you so much? You lying about buying it original maybe? I've been seeing this shit in Mass Effect 3 and so on. You guys already own the original game so why bother with those stupid reason? Why does Blizzard ban Lan? It is because pirate people find it easier to play multiplayer with their friends without buying original for Battlenet. That is why Blizzard needs to ban Lan. Like what tayb said, you people get angry when someone who put protection over their stuff from being stolen by people like you, isnt that incredibly selfish, if not incredibly stupid?

G

when a company does this you have always got to ask the question what happens when or if the company goes bust? the answer the consumer gets screwed. I believe this issue is a direct consumer threat and should be challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.