jlvitt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Ok, so I don't know if this is the place for this but I didn't see a server subpage on thardware, maybe I just missed it.

Anyways, after I build my new PC I am going to have my old PC and I was thinking about making it a server. Is it possible to do something like that? My computer is quite outdated but it doesn't seem like you need a lot of horsepower to run a server.

Any thoughts?

Specs are:
Intel CeleronD 340
256mb ram (will upgrade this)
100gb hard drive installed (will replace with 2 - 1.5tb hd's)

Would this computer be able to run windows home server?

Thanks

J

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
What kinda server are u looking for? If its a media server I don't think its gonna cut it. If your looking for a file servers its more then adequate even thought I would ditch windows home server in favor of XP Pro. Home sever is extremely watered down (friend ran it and I could have swore he said you couldn't have more then 2 users connected at a time it had some kinda major limitation on it).

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
if you upgrade the memory and hard drives on the old box you should be fine, the more memory, the BETTER

avoid windows home server as hotrodex has already mentioned, it blows goats

windows XP, win2003 server and even linux will work better

upgrading the lan card to gigabit ethernet will also do wonders, try to get a PCIE gigabit card as opposed to just regular PCI if you can and this also means you have to get a gigabit switch