Question No Man's Sky bug

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have scoured Google for a solution and come up with nothing. Not even any reports of this issue. If you played the game you know what the atlas pass is. There are 3 versions to open containers, doors, etc. I have version 1 in my inventory. When I approach one of the cylinder shaped containers it says atlas pass v1 required. When I interact to try to open the container the circle is blue and goes ALMOST all the way around but stops short. On a few rare occasions the circle is white and I can open it but I have no idea what is different. I have tried moving further away, closer, looking all around the container to see if there is a sweet spot to be facing. At a random spur of the moment the circle might turn white but then I can't duplicate it if I log out and back in again. I have also tried scrapping and making a new atlas pass. Super frustrating as there is some good loot in these containers. I have submitted a bug report with Hello Games but the automated reply I received indicates I probably won't get an actual response. It says they may address issues in a future update. WTF.

Edit: I finally figured it out. You have to hold down the button for a pretty long time until the blue circle completes and then it turns white and rotates the opposite direction. I can't believe that I couldn't find this information ANYWHERE on the internet.

Last edited:

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I believe it works exactly same way as opening other boxes if my memory serves me well (hadn't played a bit), maybe it takes just a bit longer but should not be such surprise to you.
Since I posted this I have still had issues opening things that require an atlas pass V1. Sometimes I can hold down the button until the cows come home and nothing happens. Other times it opens rather quickly. Once in a while the circle is white from the start instead of blue. No consistency to this issue at all.

Two things coming to mind:
Targeting problems - quite often, when there were multiple boxes around, I would open not the one I was targeting. Maybe that's same problem?
The game gets frequent updates - it could be new bug that appeared in one of the latest updates. Check the game's reddit for that.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I stumbled upon a solution by chance but it isn't how the game is intended to work. I have to hold down either X on controller OR E on keyboard and then press the opposite button (X or E) and it opens. Strange bug.