Question No matter how hard I try, the CPU cooler screws won't reach and screw into the holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2019
Having installed the AMD Ryzen CPU to my B450 Auros Elite board, I tried to fit the supplied stock cooler to it, except no matter what screwdriver I use, and no matter how much force I use, I could turn the screws for 15 minutes but they never get anywhere near close enough to screw into the motherboard.

Although it's my first ever time building a computer, I'm seething with rage at feeling like I've crashed into a dead end, just because of a seemingly simple process seemingly impossible.

I daren't apply any further pressure to the screwing process, as I feel like I might end up cracking the motherboard.

Would it help at all if I removed the pre added thermal paste from underside the cooler and add some of my own?

If not, will the fact the cooler has touched the CPU and left a layer of thermal paste over the entire CPU surface cause any harm to the CPU if I successfully get the cooler fixed onto the motherboard and power up the system?

Any suggestions appreciated.

cpunot.jpg

Apr 23, 2019
I don't see the posts for the mounting plate. I presume the motherboard came with the mount for the clip on style heatsink. You take off the top part with the screws. However, you'd leave the back late on the motherboard. So the heatsink screws can screw into the posts.
I don't think my motherboard came with such a plate. :(

Apr 23, 2019
The brackets appear to be clearly missing. Either the stand-offs came off with the brackets' screws or OP needs to install them.
Wait, by bracket, do you mean this?

bracket.jpg

I've tried aligning it either side up on the back of the motherboard with the holes, but I still have the same problem with the screws on the cooler not getting anywhere near the stand-offs.

InvalidError

Titan
2018072414422448_big.png

The metal bracket is on the bottom, the top side should have (at least initially) two plastic brackets installed between hole pairs for the Wraith Max and similar AMD HSF. For the Spire HSF, you have to remove the plastic brackets. On some motherboards, the plastic brackets are screwed on top of the stand-offs, on others the stand-offs are separate hardware that has to be user-installed. If you cannot find the stand-offs in your motherboard's accessories kit, check the plastic brackets to make sure the stand-offs didn't come off with the bracket screws.

Apr 23, 2019
I've got the CPU cooler fixed in successfully, the plate I needed to fix underneath the motherboard was one that was tucked away inside the case for the motherboard and I only found it after taking the panel off, and the instructions never stated such a plate being included.

InvalidError

Titan
I've got the CPU cooler fixed in successfully, the plate I needed to fix underneath the motherboard was one that was tucked away inside the case for the motherboard and I only found it after taking the panel off, and the instructions never stated such a plate being included.
The manual "never stated" the plate (and heatsink mounts on the top side) was included because it should have arrived pre-mounted to the board in the first place. It is technically a motherboard component, not a separate accessory to be listed as a spare or optional part.

As-shipped, the back-plate should have had the two plastic brackets pre-installed on the top side. If nothing was present on your board that you had to remove prior to attempting to install the Wraith Spire, you may have received a returned or refurbished board.

Apr 23, 2019
The manual "never stated" the plate (and heatsink mounts on the top side) was included because it should have arrived pre-mounted to the board in the first place. It is technically a motherboard component, not a separate accessory to be listed as a spare or optional part.

As-shipped, the back-plate should have had the two plastic brackets pre-installed on the top side. If nothing was present on your board that you had to remove prior to attempting to install the Wraith Spire, you may have received a returned or refurbished board.
I meant the manual for the case, NOT the motherboard never stated that a back plate was included, yet it was, as I mentioned when I opened both sides of the case and noticed one.

InvalidError

Titan
I meant the manual for the case, NOT the motherboard never stated that a back plate was included, yet it was, as I mentioned when I opened both sides of the case and noticed one.
Different CPU sockets and heatsinks have different backplate designs, so it makes no sense for any motherboard backplate to be included with the case. Those plates always come either with aftermarket heatsinks that require one or pre-installed on most AM4 motherboards.

If you found a plate in your case, it most likely fell from your motherboard due to the missing brackets that would have otherwise kept it fastened to the motherboard. Without those screws, the only thing keeping the backplate attached to the board is friction between the motherboard and the insulation layer glued to the plate which does not require much force to pry off. You probably knocked if off your motherboard without noticing.

Reactions: Paracosm26
Apr 23, 2019
Different CPU sockets and heatsinks have different backplate designs, so it makes no sense for any motherboard backplate to be included with the case. Those plates always come either with aftermarket heatsinks that require one or pre-installed on most AM4 motherboards.

If you found a plate in your case, it most likely fell from your motherboard due to the missing brackets that would have otherwise kept it fastened to the motherboard. Without those screws, the only thing keeping the backplate attached to the board is friction between the motherboard and the insulation layer glued to the plate which does not require much force to pry off. You probably knocked if off your motherboard without noticing.
I see what you mean, however, the plate I found in the case was in a tiny shrink wrap piece of plastic.

Dec 2, 2019
Sorry for posting so "late" in this topic but I have a problem related to this and I genuinely ran out of ideas where to look for answers...
I have the backplate and a Wraith Silent cooler installed. I bought a Wraith Max cooler that needs those 2 plastic brackets installed. I have those two..
I only miss the screws to mount those 2 plastic brackets to the MOBO backplate... anyone knows what screws do I need?
In case its needed I have an asus prime b450 plus motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.