[SOLVED] No matter the voltage my cpu sits at 40C idle. 2 months ago It would sit at 28C idle. Whats going on?

Jan 7, 2021
System:
CPU Type HexaCore Intel Core i7-8700K, 4800 MHz (48 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
DIMM2: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 [ DDR4 8GB 3000Mhz ]
DIMM4: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 [ DRR4 8GB 3000Mhz ]
Video Adapter GeForce GTX 1070 (8 GB)

Over the past couple months ive noticed my cpu temps getting higher at idle and under load (40-45C idle/85-95C Load). My cpu is delidded and sitting under an H100i v2. My previous daily voltage was 1.35V @5.1Ghz, now im at 1.26 @4.8Ghz and still getting the exact same temps. I'm very confused and don't know whats going on. I've ruled out leaking in my AIO and even reapplied thermal paste. Usually i'd say its the seasonal change but it started in november.

Solution
Last time cleaning the pc? Idle temps rising almost always points to deteriorating airflow, normally dust accumulation insulating the rad fins from the fans output.

That will also affect load temps as the coolant cannot dissipate the absorbed wattage, so further wattage added by the cpu just accumulates, heating up the coolant towards saturation. Meaning the cpu can't dump its excess heat as effectively and runs hotter.... Until you get to runaway temps.

Many people will just blow off the fans with the canned air, not realizing the culprit is the 'dust donut' underneath on the rad surface.

Cleaned it very recently, maybe around a month ago. took pressurized air to the whole rad not just the fans.

Thank you for the help but...
System:
CPU Type HexaCore Intel Core i7-8700K, 4800 MHz (48 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
DIMM2: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 [ DDR4 8GB 3000Mhz ]
DIMM4: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 [ DRR4 8GB 3000Mhz ]
Video Adapter GeForce GTX 1070 (8 GB)

Over the past couple months ive noticed my cpu temps getting higher at idle and under load (40-45C idle/85-95C Load). My cpu is delidded and sitting under an H100i v2. My previous daily voltage was 1.35V @5.1Ghz, now im at 1.26 @4.8Ghz and still getting the exact same temps. I'm very confused and don't know whats going on. I've ruled out leaking in my AIO and even reapplied thermal paste. Usually i'd say its the seasonal change but it started in november.
what happens if you set the cpu to stalk and let it idle?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Last time cleaning the pc? Idle temps rising almost always points to deteriorating airflow, normally dust accumulation insulating the rad fins from the fans output.

That will also affect load temps as the coolant cannot dissipate the absorbed wattage, so further wattage added by the cpu just accumulates, heating up the coolant towards saturation. Meaning the cpu can't dump its excess heat as effectively and runs hotter.... Until you get to runaway temps.

Many people will just blow off the fans with the canned air, not realizing the culprit is the 'dust donut' underneath on the rad surface.

Jan 7, 2021

Cleaned it very recently, maybe around a month ago. took pressurized air to the whole rad not just the fans.

Thank you for the help but I found the culprit. Turns out my AIO pump was kicking the bucket as it finally did this morning. Had to go out and buy a Hyper 212 evo until I can get a replacement. Thanks anyway though guys.

Solution