No Metro Apps, Store won't open

Tyler Chen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I recently reset my Aspire v7 482PG 6662 using the acer utility which redirects you to the windows reset. Upon booting into windows I noticed that there were no metro apps (including the native ones such as movies, photos, mail etc.). The desktop works fine and chrome can act as a metro app.

I tried to open the store to download the apps but clicking it did nothing. Similarly searching the store did nothing.

I navigated to C:program Files\WindowsApps and all of normal apps seem to have folders.

I'm really not sure what to try. I haven't changed anything in the registry since I reset the PC but I feel that something there may be wrong. I tried contacting Acer but they suggested I do another reset...

I just tried to open a video file and clicked search for program in store and it gave the error: "ms-windows-store:Assoc?fileext=mp4 This appfailed to launch because of an issue with its license. Please try again in a moment."

Any thoughts on what I can do to pinpoint/fix the problem would be appreciated.

Solution
I would suggest you do a clean install of Windows. Most people think system restores were made to fix your computer for you, but in fact they are meant for nothing more than just getting your computer to a operational state so you can get your data off them or attempt to fix them otherwise. There is no telling what has caused your apps to not appear. The only thing I could suggest other than a clean install of Windows (which is still, in my eyes, the only solution) is create a new user, and delete your current one.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I would suggest you do a clean install of Windows. Most people think system restores were made to fix your computer for you, but in fact they are meant for nothing more than just getting your computer to a operational state so you can get your data off them or attempt to fix them otherwise. There is no telling what has caused your apps to not appear. The only thing I could suggest other than a clean install of Windows (which is still, in my eyes, the only solution) is create a new user, and delete your current one.

Solution

Tyler Chen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I did a reset which supposedly re-installs windows from the recovery partition.
I am not sure how to do a clean install. I have extracted the OEM key but when I download the windows 8 upgrade to make an ISO it says that my key is not valid. Is there an iso that i can download and install with a USB drive the way I would with a cd?

Tyler Chen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Thanks for the help. I have tried this but the problem is it wont accept my key saying "this product key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows." If I just download an ISO and install will I be able to use my product key?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Yes you will be able to. It wont install if it wont work (it requires the product key before you ever even install it)