[SOLVED] No monitor display

Mar 21, 2020
Hello,

So i put together a pc comprised of:
Motherboard: msi tomahawk b450 max
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600X
Gpu: msi GeForce 760 twinfrozr
Ram: 2x 8GB aegis g.skill 3.6Ghz

But for some reason -even though the pc turns in and fans start working normally- the monitor is not recognised. My monitor keeps searching between HDMI and analog channels and otherwise doesn’t respond to the pc whatsoever.
I tried removing the gpu and one of the 2 RAMs to see if it would bring any results, but still.
Could you help a bit because i’ve been trying for three days to no avail.

Thank you

Solution
The tomahawk motherboard is brand new so the built in graphics card is sure to function. Also i’m pret Sure my GeForce works fine as well since two days ago i was using it on my old pc.
Concerning the RAMs, my motherboard has 4 slots. Namely DIMMA1 DIMMA2 DIMMB1 and DIMMB2. I have them installed on A1 and A2. They are also brand new. Got them on same delivery with my motherboard and cpu

Built in graphics are not on the motherboard. The CPU handles integrated graphics, which that only happens if you have a G series Ryzen (2200G, 2400G, 3200G 3400G) . All other Ryzens are incapable of outputting video.

The RAM needs to be in A2 and B2 as shown on page 4 of the manual...
Mar 21, 2020
I tried plugging in 2 different hdmi cables, and tried with my graphics card and also without it ( using the built in graphics card)
But it still doesn’t work

I tried plugging in 2 different hdmi cables, and tried with my graphics card and also without it ( using the built in graphics card)
But it still doesn’t work

Ryzen 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics so you must have a GPU.

Given that the 760 is almost 7 years old now, its entirely possible the card is dead that's why I asked if you can try the card in another PC or try a difference card in yours.

Also make sure you have your RAM in the A2 and B2 DIMM slots. If you RAM is correctly in the two slots then try 1 stick of RAM at a time in the A2 slot to rule out a bad stick of RAM.

Page 4

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#down-manual

Mar 21, 2020
Ryzen 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics so you must have a GPU.

Given that the 760 is almost 7 years old now, its entirely possible the card is dead that's why I asked if you can try the card in another PC or try a difference card in yours.

Also make sure you have your RAM in the A2 and B2 DIMM slots. If you RAM is correctly in the two slots then try 1 stick of RAM at a time in the A2 slot to rule out a bad stick of RAM.

Page 4

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#down-manual
The tomahawk motherboard is brand new so the built in graphics card is sure to function. Also i’m pret Sure my GeForce works fine as well since two days ago i was using it on my old pc.
Concerning the RAMs, my motherboard has 4 slots. Namely DIMMA1 DIMMA2 DIMMB1 and DIMMB2. I have them installed on A1 and A2. They are also brand new. Got them on same delivery with my motherboard and cpu

Built in graphics are not on the motherboard. The CPU handles integrated graphics, which that only happens if you have a G series Ryzen (2200G, 2400G, 3200G 3400G) . All other Ryzens are incapable of outputting video.

The RAM needs to be in A2 and B2 as shown on page 4 of the manual https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#down-manual

If that fails as I said try 1 stick at a time in A2 slot to rule out a bad stick. It is entirely possible that you got a defective RAM stick, or that the sticks wont work together which also happens. If that's the case return the RAM and exchange it for a new set.

Finally make sure that you have all power hooked up correctly to your power supply. You need the 24 pin ATX, 8 pin CPU and whatever cables the 760 require plugged in.

Reactions: Begad
Solution
Mar 21, 2020

The RAM needs to be in A2 and B2 as shown on page 4 of the manual https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#down-manual

If that fails as I said try 1 stick at a time in A2 slot to rule out a bad stick. It is entirely possible that you got a defective RAM stick, or that the sticks wont work together which also happens. If that's the case return the RAM and exchange it for a new set.
Oh, thank you very much for the clarification! I hope this works! I will immediately go and check it out!

UPDATE: it still doesn’t display any signal on my monitor. Although i noticed that on the motherboard itself there is a little red light on which indicates CPU, which is also weird because i did the flash bios update successfully.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS