No monitor signal on Windows 10 install

polinkk1

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
Hi all,

I've recently decided to do a factory reset on my computer, which had originally come with Windows 8 installed. While installing Windows 10 (and I'm probably late to the party on this), my monitor lost its signal, but my computer still continued to run. All of the lights (including the mouse) are on, the fans are working, but my monitor has no signal. I'm trying to restart my computer, but it won't even turn off, so I'm assuming that Windows 10 is in the process of updating at the moment. I'm assuming that my graphics drivers are outdated, but I don't know how I'm supposed to update them when I can't even shut down my computer or revert back to Windows 8. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello Polinkk1,

So sorry to hear this, Let's suspect on your display, it's cable, GPU, RAM and HDD.

Do you see any message on your monitor such as " No signal"? do you check your monitor power led, is it blue or red?
'No Signal' and 'red light' on your monitor power led can be the same signal for you that your computer and monitor has lost their communication, you can check your Monitor, or cable, or your graphic card (by removing it, use the motherboard graphic card).

'Blue led' on your monitor could mean your windows installation still running, it can be your PC hang due to heat. You said you cannot reboot it? Why don't you turn off the power supply!(this is not at all good idea, but has to do it some time), then restart your...

vlmem10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Hello Polinkk1,

So sorry to hear this, Let's suspect on your display, it's cable, GPU, RAM and HDD.

Do you see any message on your monitor such as " No signal"? do you check your monitor power led, is it blue or red?
'No Signal' and 'red light' on your monitor power led can be the same signal for you that your computer and monitor has lost their communication, you can check your Monitor, or cable, or your graphic card (by removing it, use the motherboard graphic card).

'Blue led' on your monitor could mean your windows installation still running, it can be your PC hang due to heat. You said you cannot reboot it? Why don't you turn off the power supply!(this is not at all good idea, but has to do it some time), then restart your system after some good times.

If the problem persist. Check your RAM, re-seat it properly, this is a very common issue. You may want to disconnect all external devices attached such as HDD, GPU, RAM, BLUE-RAY, DVD bays, you may or may not see BIOS message. If you can see BIOS, attach back all devices properly. IF you cannot see it, let's suspect on your CPU, may be help it with new paste if it is not gone bad. But I don't think on you CPU since your PC still running.

Thanks
Van

Solution
Apr 9, 2019
I've recently decided to do a factory reset on my computer, which had originally come with Windows 8 installed. While installing Windows 10 (and I'm probably late to the party on this), my monitor lost its signal, but my computer still continued to run. All of the lights (including the mouse) are on, the fans are working, but my monitor has no signal. I'm trying to restart my computer, but it won't even turn off, so I'm assuming that Windows 10 is in the process of updating at the moment. I'm assuming that my graphics drivers are outdated, but I don't know how I'm supposed to update them when I can't even shut down my computer or revert back to Windows 8. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS