No monitor signal when hdmi cable is plugged in.

problempc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
Reposting to try and get some help. Finally got my computer to turn on, but the monitor won't get a signal from the monitor. My Motherboard is an MSI 970 Gaming with no dedicated GPU, an Nvidia GTX 950 graphics card, and a TR2 430w PSU. Can anyone help?

Solution

Again, then it's probably the GPU. Another possibility is that your PSU is the problem. The PSU may not be providing correct power to the GPU, which means it'll start, but won't run properly. Also, if your motherboard has a different PCI-E slot, plug the GPU into that.

problempc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

My motherboard doesn't have video ports because it doesn't have integrated graphics.

Try connecting using a different cable, a different interface(like if you were using HDMI, try displayport instead), and a different monitor. Also check if the card is seated properly in its slot. You can also confirm the same by seeing if the fans on the GPU spin up on turning the system on.

ak195

Distinguished
Hello brother, the same problem is with me and I haven't recieved any help. By the way from my experience, there's can be a problem with the Monitor. But may be I can help if you tell the model of your monitor.

problempc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

The graphics card's fans spin up, and the cord works for everything else. The GPU is seated properly, but I only have this one cord.

Does your monitor have any other ports? It might be the monitor, or the graphics card port, that's damaged. Another thing to do is trying to reset the CMOS battery, which should restore BIOS defaults. Try that, maybe the system isn't detecting the GPU.

problempc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

Well, the monitor works with my xbox, so that rules it out.

problempc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

Not to my knowledge, the monitor works with my xbox so I don't think that's a problem, and I've reset the CMOS battery. If it's the port, is there a way to fix it?

Not really. If anything on the GPU is damaged, you'll have to return it. Same with the monitor. Unless you use a different port and it works, of course, that being the easier route. Same thing with the monitor - if the port's not working, which it should be if your Xbox works on the same port, then you'll have to return the monitor.

problempc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

The monitor works with the xbox, but won't with my pc.

Again, then it's probably the GPU. Another possibility is that your PSU is the problem. The PSU may not be providing correct power to the GPU, which means it'll start, but won't run properly. Also, if your motherboard has a different PCI-E slot, plug the GPU into that.

Solution