G

Just picked this up of www.cdrinfo.com :The following info posted in our forum..If the news are true will make lot of people un-happy:

"...This is the answer I got from Plextor:
Thank you for your email. My name is Dieter Henau and I´m responsible for the Plextor distribution in The UK, Nordic and Eastern Europe. We will ship out the last scsi CD-Roms end of April due to the bad availability of components. Our PX-W1210ts (scsi CD-Rewriter 12/10/32) will be available until the end of this year. It is not decided yet if we will bring out a scsi version of our new 16/10/40 atapi rewriter.

Regards,
Dieter Henau
Account Executive..."

Amazing if it is true. Does this mean that Plextor thinks that scsi is not going to be around for long?

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I highly doubt it. Perhaps they won't produce that particular model, but I'm sure you'll ALWAYS be able to find SCSI burners.

Joshua

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<i>From my point of view</i>, I doubt they would pull out of SCSI manufacturing. SCSI is desired by many users - they won't give up so simply.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I don't know about that. The IDE market is a hell of a lot bigger than the scsi market for burners. Unless you are running many apps the IDE vers. of the plextor 1210 performs identical to the scsi version of the 1210.

I am sure that with usb 2.0 and the new firewire standard coming out in the next 12-24 months that Plextor may opt for IDE internally and USB 2.0/Firewire for external Rom drives. It just makes a hell of a lot more business sense.

But who knows?

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
Hard to believe. The SCSI community is alive and well, and SCSI is still a superior performance option (schwing!)Why waltz when you can rock and roll?

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
My buddies and I developed our own software, and before any trade show, we'd have to press off a couple hundred copies. At the time, 2X was as fast as it got, and most ATAPI burners were still suffering from massive buffer underruns.

We'd stay after at the office, bring our home boxes in, and do nothing but play quake2, and pop in a new CD every 10 minutes. Yes, with a SCSI burner, you can actually play games, and copy disks. Hell, I love my ATAPI burner, but I know not to do much with my system when I'm burning.

Rock & Roll is right. SCSI rules. I often wish they would have abandoned IDE altogether years ago, so we'd all be benefiting from SCSI drives selling for the same price as your average ATAPI drives.

Engineering Firms, software companies, and people who care will always rely on SCSI.

Joshua

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, SCSI is the way to go. You can run several devices simultaniously, and even hook up a scanner that is at leat 10X faster than even the best USB scanner and 5X cheaper than a firewire unit! SCSI solved all my buffer underwriting problems.

Suicide is painless...........