Question No more than 2 RAM sticks are working together at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake Parker

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello, I would try to explain my situation as clearly as possible.

So today I was using my PC, just browsing the internet not even playing games to overheat my CPU or GPU, so they're out of the question, my PC suddenly just turned off. No fans running no display nothing, I would press the power button to turn it on but it won't. So I took it apart and tested the power supply by jump starting it using a wire between the green and black wire on the 24pin cable while having a fan attached to the power supply, I worked normally. I check even with a DMM, the yellow and red wires to check their voltages, they were 12V and 5V respectively, So i thought the PSU is fine.

Then I researched a bit and found out about the cmos battery, I changed it and it can now be powered on. But a new problem has arisen. Not all of my 4 DIMM slots are working at the same time together, I tested all of my 4 RAM sticks. First I checked each stick in the first DIMM slot and all worked. I even tested 1 stick on all DIMM slots and the slots were fine too. So the slots and sticks were not the issue.

Here, I have two ram sticks installed in a2 and b2 slots, as you can see they're working fine.
tyfLjJe.jpg

Here I have the other two sticks plugged into the other two ram slots, a1 and b1. They're working fine too.
chblaEw.jpg

But here's the issue, now I plug all of them, and only two work at a time.
jR6Cih8.jpg

So what can be the issue? The PC is really old, i7 3770k with Asrock z77 extreme4 and the 4 ram sticks are all the exact same, Gskill 4GB 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 Latency. They worked fine until today.

Thanks.

Drake Parker

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
Removing the CMOS battery may clear the CMOS returning all BIOS settings to default values. Load Optimized Defaults from BIOS exit menu and any custom BIOS settings you had prior to removing the battery.
I already restored the setings. But I don't think BIOS settings will stop all RAMs from getting detected. Another thing I need to add, I can see all RAMs in CPU-Z worth 16GB, I don't know why, but in task manager I can see only 8GB.

Oct 10, 2019
Hey Drake! I am having the same issue with my computer. A couple of weeks ago my computer randomly started freezing up and shutting down. I reinstalled windows thinking it might be a software issue but the problem continued. Since than I tested each of the 4 memory cards in my system and found the same issue you are describing, where the 1st and 3rd slots and the 2nd and 4th slots are working fine in tandem but when I try different combinations such as 1 and 2, 1 and 4 only one of the ram cards are recognized and when I have all the slots filled I am having major issues. Were you able to find a resolution for this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.