[SOLVED] No Mouse during Win 7 Install

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I hope someone can help me out here. I just built a new system with an i3 8100 and Giga b360 aours gaming wifi mobo. The problem i'm having is that I cant seem to get my usb mouse and keyboard to work for the win 7 install. I have messed around with all the bios usb setting, tried all available usb ports but no luck. I did have some success by plugging in an old ps/2 keyboard but I don't have a ps/2 mouse to try. i'm scared to start the windows install in case i need the mouse. Any thoughts as to any sort of work around? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yeah,Microsoft stopped support of newer CPUs for windows 7.
Your specific problem is that windows 7 was made for mobos based on usb2 (a lot of devices showed up as usb 2) while mobos made for 8 and afterwards are all based on usb 3.
If you can find the usb 3 driver for your mobo you can slipstream it into the installation media and it will recognize your usb kb+mouse.

Windows installation is made to work with keyboard only though so you will be fine to just go ahead with it,the tab key cycles through the fields and space selects them.
Yeah,Microsoft stopped support of newer CPUs for windows 7.
Your specific problem is that windows 7 was made for mobos based on usb2 (a lot of devices showed up as usb 2) while mobos made for 8 and afterwards are all based on usb 3.
If you can find the usb 3 driver for your mobo you can slipstream it into the installation media and it will recognize your usb kb+mouse.

Windows installation is made to work with keyboard only though so you will be fine to just go ahead with it,the tab key cycles through the fields and space selects them.

Solution

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Many thanks for the reply, I was starting to suspect that was the case. If I can get windows installed with just the keyboard, what would be the best way to go about getting the usb mouse working? I'm assuming it still won't be functional after the install.