Build Advice No need for a gaming rig, but needing something 'nice'.

May 9, 2019
First post here so be gentle. It's time for an upgrade to the old 8350 I've been using for the longest time. It still works fine for what I do. I mostly use it for music streaming and file sharing to my home stereo rigs. That being said of course I do 'normal' things like email and some office work along with watching the occasional movies/videos. I guess the main reason for doing an upgrade at this time is the deals that are coming around with the upcoming release of the new AMD CPUs. $79 for a Ryzen 5 1600 sounds like a good deal from what I've been seeing. Compatibility and reliability are my main concerns. I'll use the template to list what I have now and we can go from there with suggestions.

Approximate Purchase Date: As deals come along.

Budget Range: Depends on recommended needs. I have money, but I like to keep my money too.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Music server / storage. No music editing, just listening. Browsing. Office work (emails, spreadsheets yadda yadda). YouTube for music (not so hi-fi) and videos as well as a few streaming services. If possible I'd like to incorporate this rig into the role of a NAS also.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade:CPU, Mobo, Ram. Possibly a new case.

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Various sites like Newegg, Micro Center, Fry's.... Reddit buildapcsales for links to deals.

Parts Preferences:AMD CPU with compatible Mobo and Ram for best performance and reliability.

Overclocking:Probably not, but may play with it.

SLI or Crossfire:No

Your Monitor Resolution:Twin Acer 24.5 @ 1920x1080 Monitors

Additional Comments:See my current list of parts below.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:This rig is getting dated even though it runs fine. Newer parts are dropping in price.

My current set up:
Windows 10 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
AMD 8350
Gigabyte GA-990FXa-UD3 motherboard
16gb Corsair vengeance 1600 DDR3 ram
Asus DUAL-RX580 O4G (single GPU)
Corsair 500 SSD x 2 (Dual OS)
Various HHD Drives for storage Total 8TB
SoundBlaster Z (optical out to stereo rig)
EVGA 1000 80+ Gold (overkill for this system)
NZXT Server case (not sure which model atm, 8 HHD bays?)

Again, if possible I'd like to use this system to be a PC / NAS. However, if a stand alone NAS like Synology would be better I'm ok with that too.

Thanks in advance.

Easy, any Ryzn chip is better than the 8350, so buy whatever one you want on bargain sale.
Any motherboard (personally like full size atx) B450
2x8gb 3200
Keep your GPU as it's decent
Put in a nice M2 nvme Evo Plus SSD - 1tb would be great
The only thing you don't need from your old system is Ram/CPU and motherboard.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, I'm not seeing the use case that would justify buying a new system. For file sharing and music streamer, you could be rocking a Pentium 4 without any issues. If things are feeling sluggish or something, it might just be time for a fresh wipe and reinstall.

Now, how intense is the Excel work? That's like the only thing that I can see that even has the possibility to need an upgrade.