No Network Adapter in Device Manager

grimburger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
:hello: Hello guys, I'm really newb to this computer stuff so please help me out here. So early on, I noticed that I don't have any Internet connection (red x) but my laptop seems to have Internet connection. I checked my Device Manager and it seems that Network Adapter is missing instead there is 'Other Device' and below it was a 'Unknown Device' (with a yellow exclamation mark). I tried to install the driver but no luck via USB. I also did a system restore point but still no luck. I also tried to 'Scan for hardware changes' and still again, no luck... It's still unknown device.

I searched the Internet and they said the resetting the CMOS will solve this problem, is this true?

My specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon II x2 250 3.00GHz
Motherboard: EMX-AMD880HD3-PRO (Emaxx Technology)
RAM: 4.00GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 (OCed - is this safe?)
PSU: 600w
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Please comment below if you are still lacking information. I really want to fix her, she's my gal :D and sorry for my bad English. Thanks :)

grimburger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I tried to install the driver (Realtek Network Controller) via USB from the manufacturer's website and when it got finished a box pop-up saying 'The Realtek Network Adapter/Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is Enabled Please Plug the Cable' and it didn't fixed the problem, it's still an unknown device with the yellow exclamation.

That message is normal, what is means is that when the system has done its post, it could not find a lan cable connected to pc and router, so put the device into a deep sleep, which the driver has issue then trying to detect the hardware.

So the answer is just to wire up it up so the driver can be installed, the right driver should be on the motherboard CD.

grimburger

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Sorry for the very late reply.

I have one more problem. I checked the box of my motherboard awhile ago and I didn't find any CD, I don't know if I lost it. Is there any other way besides installing from motherboard CD?

bob_mills

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
FIXED - this is my story...

What I have:

Asus P5KPL motherboard with onboard LAN by Realtek
Windows 7
Virgin Media 5G superhub (but I use a wired connection from this to my PC)

What happened:

1) This morning the PC apparently switched off by itself, Windows did not shut-down.
2) When I rebooted, I had no internet connection, although access to the internet from other devices was fine.
3) No network adapters showed up in Control Panel, there was not even a section for Network Adapters.
4) I downloaded the latest Realtek network adapter drivers, but they couldn't find a network adapter so that didn't help.
5) The network cable was attached and I hadn't changed any software or hardware.

What I did:

1) Checked in the BIOS (with my motherboard is done by pressing 'DEL' on startup) that the onboard LAN was enabled - which it was, it hadn't changed.
2) Removed the CMOS battery (round battery on the motherboard which holds information for the motherboard when PC is switched off).
3) Went out for a few hours.
4) Replaced the battery and rebooted. I had to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to make sure that the hard drive with Windows on it was the first device that the BIOS looked for.
5) Waited for Windows to load - which then went off and found some new hardware (which must have been something connected to the motherboard - could have been anything)
6) Rubbed my eyes in disbelief as I had a working internet connection which I'm using right now to post this.

What I suspect happened:

Most likely - my PC experienced a power surge either from outside the house or inside which went through my router, down the network cable and into the LAN port on the motherboard. This then gave the motherboard a heart attack which disabled the network adapter, either accidentally or on purpose - if the motherboard is clever enough to disable misbehaving bits attached to it.

Less likely - I have heard that certain malware or viruses can mask the hardware so that it disappears from Windows, but the virus can still actually use it in the background. This way Windows doesn't think you have a network adapter so won't let you go online to fix the virus issue - clever.

I reckon that forcing the motherboard to reset its settings by removing the battery made it take a fresh look at what was connected to it, and this re-enabled the network adapter. It is also possible that if a virus was to blame - and the virus had changed the motherboard or network adapter settings to its own benefit then forcing the motherboard to use the default settings over-rode these nasty settings.

Either way, this worked for me.

If this doesn't work for you, then you could install a separate network card which are cheap, and avoid the onboard LAN completely, or even a wireless USB type of device.

Good luck all.

ginalynn

Reputable
May 17, 2015

Did you ever fix this? I'm having the same issue.

Jessica_666

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
WWFM:

I had the same problem, network adapters missing in device manager, no connection listed in "Change Adapter Setting" under Network & Sharing Center. I was able to connect to the internet via ethernet but not wirelessly. Drove me crazy trying to resolve this. I came across a thread that said while windows is running press the on/off key 3 to 4 times then shut down. When I reboot the wireless connection finally displayed in the "Change Adapter Settings" it was disabled, so I enabled it. Once enabled the network adapters finally showed up in the device manager. Go figure?