no network connection after I reformat my PC

Armila Lising

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
hello everyone!
i reformatted my PC but after installations of needed drivers I cannot connect to the internet. Seems i forgot something, please help me figure it out. I'm using Win XP Prof.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
There is no Network and Sharing Centre in XP so here is a little more detail in case it helps - get the ethernet adapter first and all the other drivers can find themselves once on the Net.

You need to go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and scroll to Network Adapters. The ethernet and wireless will be there so right click the first, go to Properties and then click the Details tab. Scroll to HardwareIDs and take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and also the four following DEV for Device.

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those characters in the two relevant boxes and follow the trail to the right driver. When you find the list of the Vendor's drivers, they aren't in order so...
G

Try this: Go into the adapter settings under the network and sharing settings in the control panel and make sure that the wireless connection is enabled, if that don't work go to Control Panel>Network and internet>Network and sharing center and if you see a red X or a yellow ! then click it and windows will try to figure out the problem.

If that fails, see if you can use another computer you may need to download the LAN drivers or Wireless drivers for your motherboard and put them on a USB and then transfer them onto the PC that can't connect to the internet and download the drivers from the USB.

Hope I helped :)

Hope

There is no Network and Sharing Centre in XP so here is a little more detail in case it helps - get the ethernet adapter first and all the other drivers can find themselves once on the Net.

You need to go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and scroll to Network Adapters. The ethernet and wireless will be there so right click the first, go to Properties and then click the Details tab. Scroll to HardwareIDs and take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and also the four following DEV for Device.

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those characters in the two relevant boxes and follow the trail to the right driver. When you find the list of the Vendor's drivers, they aren't in order so use your browser's Find facility to track the Device details. With luck you'll have an executable file but some will be a zipped folder.

You could follow the same procedure for each of the other missing drivers but it's easier to let the system find them by clicking on Update Driver.

Solution
G

Ow yeah forgot about the no network center, haven't used xp in a long time, the principle is basically the same though.

I wrote this at 5 in the morning so yeah lol, hope you get it fixed.