[SOLVED] No new games can play with AMD Phenom ll x4 965 anymore,time to upgrade?

WildCard999

Titan
That CPU has lasted as long as it's going to and considering the age it's done well. I found a i5-4590 in a dumpster system (free) which was usable so I snagged a cheap Chinese H81 motherboard and 8gb of memory ($100 total) for a upgrade to replace my friends X4 965 which was originally mine previously. While it's far from the newest thing out there it was a substantial upgrade over the X4 965 and allowed him to go from Division 2 under 30 FPS to 60 FPS on High. This is when paired with a R9 290 4gb.

If you have time and live near a industrial area you might be able to find something decent if money is tight.

Heck, even the hospital I worked out were tossing out 4th-7th gen i5 systems (insane I know) but wouldn't tell us the disposal site. They kept the storage drives on them so there would be no patient information but it was such a massive waste of money.

That CPU has lasted as long as it's going to and considering the age it's done well. I found a i5-4590 in a dumpster system (free) which was usable so I snagged a cheap Chinese H81 motherboard and 8gb of memory ($100 total) for a upgrade to replace my friends X4 965 which was originally mine previously. While it's far from the newest thing out there it was a substantial upgrade over the X4 965 and allowed him to go from Division 2 under 30 FPS to 60 FPS on High. This is when paired with a R9 290 4gb.

If you have time and live near a industrial area you might be able to find something decent if money is tight.

Heck, even the hospital I worked out were tossing out 4th-7th gen i5 systems (insane I know) but wouldn't tell us the disposal site. They kept the storage drives on them so there would be no patient information but it was such a massive waste of money.

I know is an old processor, cant believe is an old tech,,,,this actually my second oem rig, Been using since 2 years ago, everything recondition from china... Yet still gave me best games i wanna play.

:oops:Honestly i wont be upgrading any time soon . Stick with what i have at this point ,maybe i find a Processor that amazingly match with my rig that someone throw out ,,,lol

Thanx for the info..(y)

Jun 10, 2019
It's not even the processors fault. I honestly would probably still be running my phenom II x6 1055t (oc'd to 3.6 stock voltage) if more newer games supported the architecture. Ubisoft was a big one. No support with most of their games.

But def should just wait to upgrade to am4. I could have went cheaper (ryzen 3) but my recent upgrade of mobo, ram, and cpu (ryzen 5 2600) was roughly $350 after taxes and shipping.

If you can find or buy cheaply an old Intel system like an i5 2400 or i7 2600 or higher, that's going to be your best bet if you're trying to reuse old parts. I know at my work, one system they were getting rid of was a Dell optiplex that had an i7 3770 and 8gb of ram that I bought for 50 dollars US. Even though that system is older, you could probably put a card like 1660 super into it and still play recent games at decent settings.

If you have any recycling centers around, maybe see if they have anything. Even an i5 system with working board and no hard drive or ram would help because you could reuse your parts.

Reactions: WildCard999

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
:oops:Honestly i wont be upgrading any time soon . Stick with what i have at this point ,maybe i find a Processor that amazingly match with my rig that someone throw out ,,,lol

Anything that would go in an AM3/AM3+ isn't going to give you much, if any, benefit. There are a few that AMD basically clocked up to ridiculous levels, but the consequence is that they produce a ton of heat, so require heavy duty cooling - and they have been known to kill motherboards, many of which aren't up to supporting a 125W chip.