[SOLVED] "No NVME device found" with Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2

Feb 5, 2020
Hi,

I just assembled a new machine (my 1st build) with Asus tuf gaming x570 motherboard and I installed a
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2. Currently, there are no SATA devices connected to the motherboard.
When I load into the bios and go to the peripherals section for NVMe devices, it says "No NVME device found". The bios seems to be the most updated version. I changed the slot (there are 2 slots on this MB - same results)
I've also tried booting from a USB drive to install Windows 10, and it also does not see the drive when it comes time to select a drive to install onto. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try? Thanks!

Solution
win 10 flash usb - A legacy Windows 10 installation is not recommended.

But windoes can't recognize any driver/device to install and that's where I'm stuck...

You do not need to look for the drive anywhere. It sounds like you are using the wrong installation media.

It is normal for it also not seeing the drive when it comes time to select a drive to install onto. Selecting a drive to install on is not needed as you only have one M.2 drive connected. Once the flash drive made from the Rufus program starts up the installation, then the M.2 drive will appear in the Windows setup screen.
I think the WiFi screws things up for some people.

Disable the WiFi and check it again.

I have a Sabrent 4.0 and Asus TUF.

The slot above the gpu is the direct link to the cpu. The lower slot goes through the SATA controller.

If you have the heat sink as they recommended then the height of the sink will interfere with a dual slot gpu if placed in the lower slot.

Last edited:
You wrote, "tried booting from a USB drive to install Windows 10"

You need to [Disable] the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) - page 43 BIOS manual

The media used to install Windows 10 is important.

I use this method:

1. Download latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
  2. Have USB flash drive available

Use 1+2 above with Rufus program to make a bootable UEFI Windows 10 Installation media.
Rufus
Insert flash drive you made installation media and reboot.

When installation starts, you have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions if you have anything on the M.2 drive. That way you will be starting out with an empty drive.

Feb 5, 2020
You wrote, "tried booting from a USB drive to install Windows 10"

You need to [Disable] the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) - page 43 BIOS manual

The media used to install Windows 10 is important.

I use this method:

1. Download latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
  2. Have USB flash drive available
Use 1+2 above with Rufus program to make a bootable UEFI Windows 10 Installation media.
Rufus
Insert flash drive you made installation media and reboot.

When installation starts, you have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions if you have anything on the M.2 drive. That way you will be starting out with an empty drive.
Thanks Calvin.
Yes- I make sure the CSM is disabled.
I'm using a win 10 flash usb. But windoes can't recognize any driver/device to install and that's where I'm stuck...

But windoes can't recognize any driver/device to install and that's where I'm stuck...

You do not need to look for the drive anywhere. It sounds like you are using the wrong installation media.

It is normal for it also not seeing the drive when it comes time to select a drive to install onto. Selecting a drive to install on is not needed as you only have one M.2 drive connected. Once the flash drive made from the Rufus program starts up the installation, then the M.2 drive will appear in the Windows setup screen.

Solution
Feb 5, 2020

I will try that. thanks!

Check BIOS:
set NVME raid to disabled (BIOS\Advanced\Sata configuration);​
set SATA mode to AHCI (BIOS\Advanced\Sata configuration);​
set SCM to enabled (BIOS\Boot);​
set Boot from PCIE expansion devices to UEFI (or legacy, if you will be installing windows in legacy mode);​
set Secure boot OS type to Other OS (BIOS\Boot\Secure Boot).​

May 3, 2020
I have a Sabrent 4.0 and Asus TUF.

The slot above the gpu is the direct link to the cpu. The lower slot goes through the SATA controller.

If you have the heat sink as they recommended then the height of the sink will interfere with a dual slot gpu if placed in the lower slot.

Hey Garrett, Ive been looking at purchasing the Sabrent gen4 , and I also have a TUF. Ive been trying to understand if its compatible with my motherboard:
TUf Z270 mark 2

The webpage storage says:

1 x M.2 Socket 3*1, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology*2
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready *3

not sure if X4 means gen 4 or what. and Sabrent states: In order to take advantage of these speeds, a PCIe Gen4 motherboard is REQUIRED. Otherwise it will be at pcie gen 3 speed at max of 3500MB/s.

Any help appreciated, Sorry for jumpin in this thread.

Hey Garrett, Ive been looking at purchasing the Sabrent gen4 , and I also have a TUF. Ive been trying to understand if its compatible with my motherboard:
TUf Z270 mark 2

The webpage storage says:

1 x M.2 Socket 3*1, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology*2
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready *3

not sure if X4 means gen 4 or what. and Sabrent states: In order to take advantage of these speeds, a PCIe Gen4 motherboard is REQUIRED. Otherwise it will be at pcie gen 3 speed at max of 3500MB/s.

Any help appreciated, Sorry for jumpin in this thread.

I don’t believe that’s a PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

I Javan x570, and evening then I can’t recommend a 4.0 over a 3.0 NVME at this time. It’s not worth the very incremental speed increase

TRENDING THREADS