[SOLVED] No onbaord wifi what to do?

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
Just curious to thoughts on speeds with onboard wifi vs getting onboard wifi with the mobo.

I am in the process of a build and worried becasue my B450 Aorus M board has no wifi

Solution
WIFI for gamers is very often a disappointment. The best WIFI is a card like the Asus PCIe cards that come with antennas on coax. That way the antenna can be moved from behind the case. The PC case often blocks a lot of the WIFI signal.

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI for gamers is very often a disappointment. The best WIFI is a card like the Asus PCIe cards that come with antennas on coax. That way the antenna can be moved from behind the case. The PC case often blocks a lot of the WIFI signal.

Solution

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015

TY, Oh ok so getting a mobo without WiFi and adding a good WiFi card is the best thing?

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
"Best" is not the most accurate description. Finding a wired connection is best. Using an ethernet cable, MoCA, or powerline network adapters will be more consistent than WIFI unless you a close to your WIFI source.

Thanks. Well all we have is an ATT hotspot, wireless. It works well for what we were used to (dial-up). It is out only choice. I do not think it can work in conjunction with a router or anything so looks like I just need a wireless card. Any recomendations for a budget?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks. Well all we have is an ATT hotspot, wireless. It works well for what we were used to (dial-up). It is out only choice. I do not think it can work in conjunction with a router or anything so looks like I just need a wireless card. Any recomendations for a budget?
OK. Slightly different scenario than most. There are routers that will support USB 4G modems. That would be the best option. You can have wired and wireless that way. Asus routers support a wide variety of 4G USB modems -- https://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/