No Onboard Sound?

kinjorski

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I have a brand new build, mobo is MSI 870A-G46, it is supposed to have onboard HD audio, I did a fresh install of windows onto my HDD, then cloned it onto my SSD, because it won't fresh install onto the SSD for some reason. Anyways, I have no audio, windows says "no audio devices installed" and in sound device manager, there are NO options. I've installed the realtek driver like 8 times to no avail, it's in Program files (x86)/realtek/HD, but still nothing, I've disabled and re-enabled the sound controller through the bios, and nothing, and even tried uninstalling all of the sound drivers and reinstalling only realtek audio drivers via safe mode. . .still nothing. . .is this a bad mobo? I feel like its a stupid software problem, but this is my first build so I'm not sure. I'm running windows 7 home premium 64 bit fyi. Any suggestions? Clear the CMOS maybe??

Solution
A couple points:
1) You can have issues if you clone an HDD to an SSD. I doubt that's why the audio doesn't work but I recommend reinstalling to the SSD if possible:
a) choose the main SATA chipset (Intel?) connection
b) no other drives attached
c) AHCI selected for that controller

2) Try booting to UBUNTU from DVD and see if audio works there.

3) If still stuck, contact MSI and RMA that board. Don't just get an addon sound card. You bought a new board and want it to work!
It sounds like a bad sound chip on there. There are some inexpensive sound cards which will sound as good or better than onboard anyway

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008658+4093+600011977&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=57&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

A couple points:
1) You can have issues if you clone an HDD to an SSD. I doubt that's why the audio doesn't work but I recommend reinstalling to the SSD if possible:
a) choose the main SATA chipset (Intel?) connection
b) no other drives attached
c) AHCI selected for that controller

2) Try booting to UBUNTU from DVD and see if audio works there.

3) If still stuck, contact MSI and RMA that board. Don't just get an addon sound card. You bought a new board and want it to work!

Solution

kinjorski

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Sound advice, I wouldn't have thought of the ubuntu thing myself. Much appreciated! Allthough this build has been a nightmare, and frustration is going to overcome the need to get what I pay for, so I'll probably end up buying a soundcard (cause I want it to work now). . .might still RMA the MOBO, but my other system needs a sound card anyways, so when I get the RMA, I can move it. (8 year old gaming pc, audio going out, but still plays diablo for the wife)

kinjorski

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

I didn't think it was the OS install at first, because the fresh install I did on my HDD, the sound didn't work either, and then it cloned the issue from there, but I did the fresh install on the SSD with your advice in #1, worked beautifully, and all of the sudden sound works great. Its so bizzare that a fresh install of windows would just randomly decide I don't get audio no matter what, and the next works fine. . .

Thanks for the advice, saved me some frustration, wish I'd of tried it much sooner, like when you posted it, lol