[SOLVED] No OneDrive icon in Windows File Explorer

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I uninstalled OneDrive some time ago. Now I reinstalled it, everything works but there's no icon in Windows Explorer. The only way to access it is through "Open folder" from the OneDrive icon in the taskbar. This is really not convenient and there must be something wrong. Did anybody experience this issue? How can I get the shortcut to Windows Explorer (in the left panel)?

Solution
If your not seeing the OneDrive in File Explorer then a major Windows update will fix that most certainly. Are you using WIndows 10 2004. Or something earlier. If your using 1809 or 1903 then update to 2004 and the problem should go away. If your using 2004 and don't see OD in file explorer and you have researched and tried everything then I suggest to research more and if you can't find the fix or a registry hack then your systeem is doomed unless the new October 2020 update fixes it. If still no good then backup your data files your app installers and back it up into a extertnal HD. Then format and install Windows 10 2004 from a USB stick. Good Luck. ✌☮✝👨🏽‍🦲😷

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I actually have OneDrive installed on my platform but I don't use it since I backup all content to a physical drive but I do see it on the left (quick)navigation pane. That being said, have you tried the suggestion made on this how-to?
Yes, I did that even before posting here. I googled and tried every solution, fix, how-to,.. I found. No shortcut.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try running system restore and see if there is a date prior to changes as that might restore it
type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)

I find my onedrive doesn't always run so it only syncs savings if I start the app up intentionally

So you tried this?

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
did you try running system restore and see if there is a date prior to changes as that might restore it
type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)

I find my onedrive doesn't always run so it only syncs savings if I start the app up intentionally

So you tried this?
Sadly, I have system restore disabled.
Yes, I tried that. The only way to access OneDrive folder is through that icon on the taskbar or navigating to "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\OneDrive" folder. There must be something wrong because I did everything I could find on the net to enable that shortcut in the File Explorer (installing, uninstalling, enabling various settings, I even used a registry file to enable that shortcut from majorgeeks, etc).
I hoped somebody else encountered this issue and was able to solve it somehow.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it might be your user profile.

Try this
Create a new Local user - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account
make it admin
Copy contents of C:/Oldusername onto C:/Newusername foilder, this will give it the same access.
log into new user and all you will need to do it log into Onedrive again , and set up desktop etc. Don't need to reinstall anything.
See if that helps. As its pretty easy to swap users if that is all that is required.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, I had guessed which one you meant.

i don't understand the 1st line of help here, what arrow lol - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026385/windows-see-your-onedrive-files-in-file-explorer#:~:text=Go to the right side,and then select Choose folders.&text=Open File Explorer and check,your OneDrive files are there.

did you try right clicking the right column where Quick access is and chose show all folders? as that view isn't showing the storage drives either.

You mean copy all from current "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\" to new? I just checked, in my case that's like 100GB :??:

okay then... we won't do that... i don't know, people who don't move their library folder locations...

I wonder if this will help
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Last edited:

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

I also didn't understand at first but than I realized it's the arrow on the right side of the taskbar to show the hidden taskbar icons ;)

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

This won't affect any of my installed programs, right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That command just checks the image that windows uses to build windows is still in good order. The files it checks are used by SFC to confirm the system files.

did you try right clicking the right column where Quick access is and chose show all folders? as that view isn't showing the storage drives either.

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I sure did :)

Ok, I did what you told me... scannow didn't find any issues and the second thing produced this results:
Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, windows is okay.

its strange its not showing your storage drives in listing if you have selected that.
What version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current is 2004.

Do you have a 2nd drive in PC or just one? MIght be helpful to move the location of Documents or whatever is using 100gb of space to another drive so if you do need to copy contents of that folder, its not as big.

Website only used because they offer clear instructions - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...e-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/
note: always helps to make sure to make destination folder before starting and be sure the location is right before clicking move as if you make an entire drive a library, it can be messy to fix.

My user folder is only 17gb (and I am not sure what that is...)... getting new PC next week so I better see whats in there and copy it someone where else.

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Well, windows is okay.

its strange its not showing your storage drives in listing if you have selected that.
What version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current is 2004.

Do you have a 2nd drive in PC or just one? MIght be helpful to move the location of Documents or whatever is using 100gb of space to another drive so if you do need to copy contents of that folder, its not as big.

Website only used because they offer clear instructions - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...e-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/
note: always helps to make sure to make destination folder before starting and be sure the location is right before clicking move as if you make an entire drive a library, it can be messy to fix.

My user folder is only 17gb (and I am not sure what that is...)... getting new PC next week so I better see whats in there and copy it someone where else.

I'm still on 1909.. waiting for the update for some time now.
My storage drives are under "This PC".
I have 5 drives :) 3 SSDs and two HDDs.
I will look into creating different user but why would this issue be linked to my local user account? Everything else is working just fine.

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
its just a hunch. The removal process obviously did a better job than you had hoped it would.

so running powershell reinstall default apps won't help as its working, it just doesn't show...

are you on Home or Pro?

have you tried these? Ignore number 1, its just an attempted sale - https://windowsreport.com/onedrive-missing-file-explorer/#:~:text=In the left pane, navigate,and OK to save changes.
Pro.
I didn't have the registry entry mentioned on that website and I added it but didn't solve the issue.

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I made a new user... still no OneDrive icon :( It appears something is messed up deep down in Windows or something. What confuses me the most is the fact that complete removal and a complete reinstall doesn't solve the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if updating to 2004 and then doing a repair install would fix it.

update: click on the Update Now link here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
that will download the upgrade assistant, running it will install 2004

see if that fixed it...

if not, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
all it does is replaces windows. You need to be on 2004 to run this as it needs an iso that is the same version as what you have installed, and unless you have one now, the one on Microsoft website is 2004.

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I wonder if updating to 2004 and then doing a repair install would fix it.

update: click on the Update Now link here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
that will download the upgrade assistant, running it will install 2004

see if that fixed it...

if not, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
all it does is replaces windows. You need to be on 2004 to run this as it needs an iso that is the same version as what you have installed, and unless you have one now, the one on Microsoft website is 2004.
I just upgraded to 2004 yesterday but unfortunately, the OneDrive shortcut is still missing.
Thank you for the suggestion about the repair thing but frankly, I'm not sure I want to do all that just to have OneDrive shortcut, since everything else works. I hoped for an easier solution. What bothers me the most with the repair thing is that I will lose custom fonts... I'm a designer and I have tons of custom fonts... to go through installing all that again is just not worth it.