No Operating System Was Found

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Alright, so I was doing a factory reset for my computer . which was windows 8, and My power went out when it was roughly at 42%. Now, even with the installation disk inside the drive, it says that no operating system was found, and to press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I've been trying for a day or two now, and same thing. Any help?

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

If you read correctly, I said, with installation CD INSIDE the drive, meaning yes i tried re installing the OS from the disk, lol.

It's a DESKTOP by the way. BIOS detects everything, so it isn't a default.

Blaise170

Honorable

Relax, I'd already said that I wasn't sure if I was reading it right. Have you tried reformatting the HDD? You can use Hiren's Boot CD to boot into a partition tool.

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

I didn't do anything, actually. How could I reformat the HDD? Why can't I just use the windows 8 install CD? So confusing, lol.

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

I'll try to remove the CMOS Battery, I'll see what that does.

Blaise170

Honorable

Reformatting the HDD is simple, you just boot into a partition tool like Hiren's and you'll choose the option. It could also be a bad BIOS flash due to the power surge, which should be fixed by removing the battery for a bit like scout suggested.

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

Alright, so I removed the battery and it told me everything was reset to factory settings. I insert the windows 8 Install CD, restart computer & it says the same message. An operating system couldn't be found. :/

Blaise170

Honorable
Are you using a true install CD or a recovery CD? The recovery CDs you get with a new computer will only work if Windows is already present on the machine (which means that since Windows got corrupted during the power outtage it no longer exists).

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

I'm not sure. I built my own computer and bought windows 8 from bestbuy. I used a copy of windows 7 ultimate, but then switched to windows 8, which worked perfectly blabla but I'm using the CD that came with windows 8, the 64 bit cd.

And yes, I changed the boot order.

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

I connected my HDD to a external dock, how would I go on to format it? and format it to what? When I go to my computer, i right click it select format, but i dont know which one to chose.

Blaise170

Honorable

Windows usually uses the NTFS format, so you can format it to NTFS. Then, try to install Windows again since the remnants of the corrupt OS will be gone.

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

Does the allocation unit size matter?

purplemilkftw

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

Thanks. It's formatting now. I'll then try to install again, and come back.

EDIT: I had to install windows 7 again, since it was a upgrade CD. Thanks again to both of you.