• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question No output after RAM upgrade and bios update

Apr 10, 2020
upgraded RAM from one 8gb stick to 2 8gb sticks. I have a hp pavilion pc with an upgraded gpu, psu, and hard drive. When originally installing the new RAM the bios could see 16gb, but nothing else could like task manager/dxdiag. A friend suggested updating bios/uefi through drivers, updated that hoping to solve my ram issue, and now I have no output from gpu hdmi port, or the mobo hdmi port. Any ideas???

Assuming you the BIOS update went correctly check the HP website on how to clear the CMOS for your computer. I would also suggest trying to start the computer without the GPU installed and with the 1 stick of RAM you know works with the computer.

Apr 10, 2020
I hope you did one of these : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

I prefer flash the bios with a USB stick not inside windows because too many things can go wrong.

It is possible that you're igpu is disabled while a gpu is inserted, so remove you're gpu and try booting.
I will try removing my gpu, I updated it by updating the driver for uefi under device manager, I had no idea the bios was going to update it just started an update screen when I was forced to restart from the driver update. My next step was going to be going to that he support page to update from hp..

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS