[SOLVED] No output coming out from GPU

Riley97

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Good day folks.
I need assistance with an issue of my GPU not displaying anything when connected to a monitor.

My specs:
Asus H61m-e
Intel i5 3570
16Gb 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R7 370
550W PSU ( unsure of the brand)

I have tested both the PSU and the GPU in another rig and it displayed properly.

Can anyone provide their insight to the problem?

Solution
So what we know; PSU and GPU are most likely fine. Components left to test; Storage devices, RAM, CPU, and motherboard.

For the RAM try each individual stick in each motherboard slot and try booting it up. For example you have ram sticks A B C D and slots 1 2 3 4. Try stick A in slot 1, 2, 3, and then 4. Then on to stick B for slots 1 2 3 4 and so on. If you get to windows in any of these attempts try to restart without changing the slots or sticks to see if you can repeat getting to windows again.

For storage devices I would Disconnect all drives that are not the OS drive and try starting up windows. If that fails you could try installing Win10 on a different storage device.

For the CPU you need to be able to check it for any bent...

Riley97

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Does the computer get past BIOS and into the OS? Is there a POST beep? Have you tried booting with the CPU display connector on the motherboard?
Aye the PC can boot into BIOS and goes into windows. The VGA also does works.

Have you tried remove all but 1 stick of RAM?
Tried It and still nothing. only getting output from MOBO onboard VGA.

Additional note: Tried plugging a different GPU into the MOBO and it also produce the same problem.

You could try resetting the BIOS in case you may have unknowingly set an option at some point that may have messed with the GPU slot or locked the motherboard out of using it.
I'm thinking its an amperage or wattage issue from the PSU. What do you think?
Aye the PC can boot into BIOS and goes into windows. The VGA also does works.

Tried It and still nothing. only getting output from MOBO onboard VGA.

Additional note: Tried plugging a different GPU into the MOBO and it also produce the same problem.
Do you have another PSU you can try to use with this system? Since the graphics card works in another system I doubt the card is the issue. The PSU worked in another system, but did it work with the same requirements as the last system regarding wattage and amperage?

TLDR; we have narrowed it down to most likely being 1 of 3 components. Its either the PSU, motherboard, or the CPU.

I have explained the PSU already. It could be the motherboard having a variety of issues but those are not easy to track down. I usually try to exclude everything that is not the motherboard to implicate it as the issue.

It could also be the CPU as it has not been tested in another system and because you have not been able to get into BIOS until recently. Check the CPU temperatures in BIOS and report back if you can.

After, I would clear cMOS which can be done a number of ways. I would check your motherboard manual if you have it for exact directions. If you cannot find it power done the system and disconnect the PSU or flip its switch to off. Then take out the cMOS battery on the motherboard and hold the case power button down for 30 seconds in a row.

Let us know how that goes.

Riley97

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I'm thinking its an amperage or wattage issue from the PSU. What do you think?

Do you have another PSU you can try to use with this system? Since the graphics card works in another system I doubt the card is the issue. The PSU worked in another system, but did it work with the same requirements as the last system regarding wattage and amperage?

TLDR; we have narrowed it down to most likely being 1 of 3 components. Its either the PSU, motherboard, or the CPU.

I have explained the PSU already. It could be the motherboard having a variety of issues but those are not easy to track down. I usually try to exclude everything that is not the motherboard to implicate it as the issue.

It could also be the CPU as it has not been tested in another system and because you have not been able to get into BIOS until recently. Check the CPU temperatures in BIOS and report back if you can.

After, I would clear cMOS which can be done a number of ways. I would check your motherboard manual if you have it for exact directions. If you cannot find it power done the system and disconnect the PSU or flip its switch to off. Then take out the cMOS battery on the motherboard and hold the case power button down for 30 seconds in a row.

Let us know how that goes.

For the PSU, I have tried it with a system with a higher requirement

Spec:
A320M rev 4.0
Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB ram
GEFORCE GTX 1660 Super OC
4 TB 7200rpm

It did power up and works even under heavy load.

As for the CPU, I think I might have confused you. Even before I made the post, I was able to boot into bios.
As for temp it stayed within normal margins.

I did clear CMOS before I made the post. But I might try again later.

Sorry for the late reply, was quite busy with work and stuff

Reactions: helper800
So what we know; PSU and GPU are most likely fine. Components left to test; Storage devices, RAM, CPU, and motherboard.

For the RAM try each individual stick in each motherboard slot and try booting it up. For example you have ram sticks A B C D and slots 1 2 3 4. Try stick A in slot 1, 2, 3, and then 4. Then on to stick B for slots 1 2 3 4 and so on. If you get to windows in any of these attempts try to restart without changing the slots or sticks to see if you can repeat getting to windows again.

For storage devices I would Disconnect all drives that are not the OS drive and try starting up windows. If that fails you could try installing Win10 on a different storage device.

For the CPU you need to be able to check it for any bent pins (AMD) or check the motherboard for any bent pins (Intel). Further diagnosing of the CPU would require getting into the OS or putting the CPU in another motherboard.

The only think I can think of after this is to try powering the computer up fully assembled on a different circuit in the house to exclude the power outlet / circuit as an issue.

After all of this is check you can assume there is something going on with the motherboard. Try lightly shaking the PC case to hear for any loose screws from a short. Also make sure that the motherboard has no case mounting standoffs that are unused (not screwed in) or are for a different a pattern motherboard (could cause a short). I would also make sure that all power supply cables are firmly attached to all hardware including to the PSU itself and especially the CPU 4-8 pin power connector and the 20+4 pin motherboard power cable. I would also make sure that all SATA data cables are firmly attached to both the motherboard and drives. I might even try reattaching all the front I/O cables and the audio cable from the front I/O. At this point you should check the physical components that are soldered to the motherboard. You should be looking for bulging capacitors or missing / snapped off parts.

Solution