[SOLVED] No output from GPU. Used another GPU and everything works. Drivers or dead card?

julesleos

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
For a little background, I just rebuilt my PC as I wanted to move from an E-ATX to an ATX motherboard and a smaller case.

Initially I installed everything in my new case, turned the system on, installed windows, and then set it to install its updates overnight while I slept. I installed no 3rd party software, and no drivers. I set a restore point and saved a system image as soon as I got to my Desktop.

When I woke up this morning, there was no display whatsoever. I tried the obvius things, but ended up rebooting. Again, no display including no splash screen and no video on the BIOS. No video or indication of video presence the whole time. The GPU has 1 HDMI port and 3 display ports. My monitors don't have display port so I use an adapter, but none of the ports with any HDMI cable worked. I tried different PCIe slots. I troubleshot the motherboard, RAM, PSU, etc. but....

Eventually I borrowed another GPU from a buddy of mine and lo and behold but the system booted up again. I had two BSOD errors, so I restored to my fresh install state, and then installed drivers (excepting the borrowed GPU because it's not staying there either way.) Everything seems to be working fine right now.

I've only had this GPU for about a year and a half and it worked fine in my old system as well as last night before I went to bed.

What are the chances that this is software related and not a fried GPU? I don't know if my PSU could support running both my old GPU and the one I'm borrowing, but would that allow me to glean any information about the GPU if it's busted?

Specs are as follows:

PSU: Corsair HX750i
MOBO: ASRock x99 Extreme4
CPU: i7-6800k
Cooler: Fractal Design S36
RAM: 64gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz (PC4-19200)
GPU: Asus GTX-1080Ti Founders Edition
M.2 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 512Gb

Solution
Simple to test if the card is the issue, test it in that other computer you borrowed your test card from. If your card works with no issues then it's not the card. You said you were using some adapters, were you testing the other video card with the same adapters?
Simple to test if the card is the issue, test it in that other computer you borrowed your test card from. If your card works with no issues then it's not the card. You said you were using some adapters, were you testing the other video card with the same adapters?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS