Gigabyte z77-ud3h
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 w/ 2G VRAM
Seagate 1TB HDD w/ 64M cache
Crucial M4 64Gb SSD
Rosewill Capstone 650M PSU
2 x 8g G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz
Windows 8 Pro

The problem:
If the gtx 670 is installed (plugged into my top PCIE w/ both per connectors in), I get no output from its HDMI port. I haven't tried any other ports, because I've only got an HDMI cable right now. When I forced integrated graphics preference through the BIOS, I was able to get video from the MOBO HDMI. Running off Intel HD 4000, everything seems to work fine. Additionally, Windows detects the GTX 670, as it is listed in my device manager. I have installed the latest graphics drivers, as well as updated the MOBO's BIOS. I plan to buy a display port-to-HDMI cable to test the 670's display port this evening.

Is there anything else you guys think I should do? Does this look like an RMA?

UPDATE: I bought a DVI-DVI cable and it appears to work fine. Now the question is, would an RMA fix the HDMI issue or is this trickier than just a defective port? I wonder if it's a driver issue, or some other setting. I've heard of Integrated HD Audio messing things up in the 600 series--which could explain why DVI worked (no audio passed through the GPU)

Doorn

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Do you think it's possible that my 1.3b HDMI cable isn't supported by the HDMI 1.4 port on the 670?

chugot9218

Honorable
They are backwards compatible, or at least they should be. I would guess it's an issue with the card but I cannot think of a reliable method to test it, you could try re-installing the drivers.

I suppose you could try your GPU in another slot as well, it'd be worth a shot, could at least point you away from the MOBO.

Doorn

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I no longer think it is a Mobo problem, because the dvi port on the card works normally. Boots fine and both Windows and Nvidia Control Panel recognize the 670.

MC_K7

Distinguished
By the way DVI offers the same quality as HDMI so you could stay like that.

But yeah, it sucks if you have a defective port even if you don't use it right now you could RMA the card in case you need the HDMI output in the future. But before you RMA, did you test with another HDMI cable? Or did you test that same cable on another monitor? And finally, are you sure that the HDMI input on your monitor was working before? It's not necessarily the card that is defective if you didn't test all possibilities...

Yea I agree defective ports do really suck. I have the same card but I use displayport. IF you recently purchased this from a store you can try and return it to them and explain how a port is defective so you don't pay a restocking fee. Also, I would do this because getting a card back from Gigabyte can take 4 weeks turn around and that isn't acceptable. I called them before the holidays in early November and I wanted to know what there customer service was like and that is what they told me the turn around would be 3-4 weeks.

Doorn

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

This HDMI cable works fine between my laptop and that same monitor, so I can only assume it's all good. Though I have heard stories of HDMI cables failing to work with seemingly random devices.

I'm just not sure that the port is actually defective, or if it's a result of something else. Any way to verify that Windows or Nvidia recognize the port? I'd like to test another HDMI, but I don't know if I will. Maybe I could ask a neighbor.

I wonder if it would be smarter to RMA now, or to just stick with DVI until something worse happens. I think Gigabyte provides a 3 year warranty.

They do provide a long warranty however that being said if you can get a problem fixed now by returning and get a new card fast wouldn't you rather do that then wait weeks for gigabyte to get off there butt and send you a new card.

Doorn

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I agree with you there. I just fear that the new card will have a different, more crippling problem, however unlikely. I plan to work on verifying that the problem really is just a bad port before I RMA. I've still got a few weeks before the newegg policy expires.

Believe me when the stores return policy ends and the cards warranty kicks in you'll hate it ><! And newegg is great with there returns just make sure they don't try and slap that restocking fee on they did with me with a 660Ti I had didn't understand what I was talking about and thought it was working just fine.