Question No output from new MSI Ventus 3060 Ti ?

Aug 22, 2022
Hello
Just got a 3060ti but can't get it to output anything. I have checked everything, 2 different HDMI cables, different PCIE power cable and slot.
it all works fine with a 2080 Super and a 970.

The fans are spinning but the VGA light is on on the mobo and theres no way to get an output so I cant have a route around in the bios with it installed - this is on an old i52500k is there some way to force that as the default display provider while the GPU is plugged in?

The mobo is PCIE gen 3 ASUS pro, but I had read that shouldn't be an issue for anything other than bandwidth and as the 3060ti is only 14gbps its less bandwidth needed than my old 2080 super which worked fine
The only thing I can't test yet is if a DisplayPort to HDMI would work, as I'm using a Samsung q80r as my 'monitor' it lacks anything but HDMI ports, the GPU only has 1 HDMI

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just have to return it and wait until all the new hardware comes out.

Aug 22, 2022
It is a HDMI 2.1 card. Is there a setting on your tv that you can switch to using 2.1?
Q80r is 2.0 only as far I know, the tv works fine with the ps5 which is also meant to be 2.1, I thought the whole point was it was backwards compatible unless it was bandwidth starved, which the 3060ti wouldn't be due to lower speed memory

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
By now I'm assuming you have the last bios for that mobo, and all the chipset drivers.

Apart from that, try putting the gpu on the second slot at boot. It uses chipset lanes, not cpu lanes for its pcie, which basically initiates a handshake with the gpu pcie. Cpu lanes don't do that as such, so the card is trying to default to Gen4 but the board is insisting its Gen3 and there's no recognition. Soon as it boots, bios/vbios gets sorted out and you should then be able to reset the card in 1 slot.

Reactions: KyaraM
Aug 22, 2022
Bios isn't fully up to date but then I doubt theres much difference between the 2011 one and the 2012 one which was final lol. I have downloaded it and have a display port to HDMI cable on the way as its something I dont have in my box and will allow me to try that out.

I had already tried the 3060ti in a different slot, I suppose what you're saying is probably the only other option other than the GPU being faulty. I would just upgrade but with everything new on the doorstep I'm hesitant

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you've got a newer platform coming, I'd just deal with the old gpu until it arrives. What's bad is that other than some small gains possible in DLSS and Ray Tracing, the 2080 Super is actually slightly superior to the 3060ti, worst case being they are equal or close enough to be margin of error. The only real advantage the 3060ti holds is in power consumption, but that's debatable with its higher transient load spikes than the 2080 Super.

Aug 22, 2022
I sold the 2080super about a year ago and I'll be returning the 3060ti if I can't get it to work today as I'm waiting for the new gen cpus and gpus. This was just going to go into a second pc for media processing related stuff in a couple of months as I'd want it to be small form and this was a rather small card without sacrificing cooling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's for media processing etc, and not for gaming, might look into the Quadro series, I guess it all depends on which card type would suit the software and its use better. The 3060ti should have worked, pcie in nvidia cards goes all the way back to 1.1, only the 1.0 cards were different, the vbios should be uefi or legacy compatible. It's getting to the point where the only thing I can think of is there's some inane reason on your bios that refuses to figure out what to do with a tensor core vs Cuda core.

Last edited: