[SOLVED] No output, front panel disabled

Mar 17, 2020
Hi,
I have had my PC for a while now, but all of a sudden I started having an issue where I lose the output from the GPU. It seems to happen at random, it happens in game, in word, in asus AI suite, I could be playing for hours without any issue, and it could appear 1 min after booting.

What happens is:
  • both screens turns black with "displayport no input" message
  • all inputs from the motherboard IO has no power, external HDD stops spinning, external USBs stops charging, keyboard/microphone/headset lights turns off etc.
  • all internal components seems uneffected, GPU/AIO cooler/fans lights are on, fan speed is normal, no error LED on motherboard
  • front panel doesnt work, holding down power button doesnt turn off computer, reset switch doesnt do anything, none of the front USBs give any power
The only way i can turn the computer off is with the PSU switch. When i boot the computer again it boots straight up, no problem, nothing seems broken untill the next time this happens.

I have replugged everything now. Did not help.

Specs:
  • Ryzen 5 2600x 3.6 GHz (overclocked to 3.9 GHz)
  • Asus ROG X470-f gaming
  • 2x8 GB 2666MHz DDR4 corsair ram
  • GTX 1080ti founders edition
  • EVGA GQ 650W gold PSU
I am all out of ideas of what could cause this, any help would be appreciated.

Also it should be noted that the ram does not seem to run in dual channel. It is set to 2667 MHz in bios with D.O.C.P., but it still runs at 1333 MHz.

Solution
Yes there are + or - tolerances.

However, when under heavy load a faltering PSU will not be able to keep up.

3 years old.... may be nearing design EOL (End of Life).
Mar 17, 2020
How old is the PSU? Was it new or used when installed in your PC.

Heavy gaming use?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or have a knowledgeable family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However any out of spec voltages would be an indication of failure.
The PSU is about 3 years old, i have slowly changed all parts except for the PSU though.

Yes, heavy usage for gaming.

We tested the PSU with a multimeter, everything was slightly above the specs (12.14 instead of 12) but I guess that is normal.

TRENDING THREADS