Question No output to display

Aug 2, 2019
I have built a new PC for the first time and the computer powers up, the fans and LEDs all run but there is no output to the screen.

I have tried that checklist on Tom's Hardware, I've tried things like removing my GPU completely, replacing it in another slot, removing and replacing RAM, resetting CMOS, unplugging and unplugging cables, checking that they're all inserted correctly.

I've discovered a red light by the VGA label on the motherboard which suggests a GPU issue. However this persists without the graphics card installed

My build is:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with wraith prism RGB cooler
Aorus X470 gaming 5 WIFI motherboard
2 x 8 GB DDR4 Corsair vengeance RAM 3200mHz
Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 1660 GPU
1TB Western Digital HDD
500GB SANDISK SSD
750W Corsair PSU
All inside an NZXT H500i case

I've discovered a red light by the VGA label on the motherboard which suggests a GPU issue
Does your card require an external power connector, PCI-E cable ? Have you plugged this cable to the GPU ? Have you also tried updating your system BIOS ??

However this persists without the graphics card installed
I don't actually understand this point....

If there is no GPU, then how come the RED light would be on ? Also, your system processor lacks onboard graphics, so you cannot boot the system without the discrete GPU. Are you booting in Legacy or UEFI mode ??

Btw, please update your system BIOS as well . The latest BIOS version is from date:: 2019-07-31, version F42a.

Aug 2, 2019
Does your card require an external power connector, PCI-E cable ? Have you plugged this cable to the GPU ? Have you also tried updating your system BIOS ??

I don't actually understand this point....

If there is no GPU, then how come the RED light would be on ? Also, your system processor lacks onboard graphics, so you cannot boot the system without the discrete GPU. Are you booting in Legacy or UEFI mode ??

Btw, please update your system BIOS as well . The latest BIOS version is from date:: 2019-07-31, version F42a.

I have plugged the PCIE cable into the PSU and GPU. I don’t understand why the light remains on either it’s so confusing. I’ve updated the BIOS but I don’t know if I’m booting in legacy or UEFI mode.

ASK THE COMMUNITY