no pci express but there should be one??

Rob1

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I bought a computer sometime ago.. some junk computer named Emachines..
the problem is that it says that i have a pci express x16 slot on my motherboard. but when i bought a graphic card ( X1600XT pci-e) and i happly wanted to connect it, I suddenly noticed...
some idiot, probably from emachines have removed the pci-e slot!
it is marked with small letters "PCI EXPRESS x16 slot" on the motherboard.. but there is no.. hmm.. dont know the name.. but the thing i attach the card on.
i have checked the motherboard.. a intel, cant remember the name and it says on there homepage that the motherboard has a pci-e slot. :S
wierd i say.. but I dont want to buy a new motherboard, is there anyway a can welding a pci-express slot or send it to service so they do it.
it sounds stupid but please answer.
sorry for my miss spelling and bad english...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Short answer? No.

System builders do this to lower cost and make more money... because they make and sell so many computers (usually to ppl who don't know any better like you), they can get the various component manufacturers to custom make parts for them. If they take out things that they don't want they will get discounts.

System builders don't really care about upgradability so they do sh!t like this all the time, it's why most of us on here build our own.

I don't think you can add the slot to the motherboard but maybe someone else on here knows how.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
That's always possible but those types of machines that you buy at Best Buy don't usually list that kind of stuff on the front panel sticker.

I get the feeling that he just looked at his motherboard (or looked it up on the internet), saw a place that had pci-e x16 written on it but just didn't realize there was no actual port.

One thing I do know, he probably is not going to be buying pre-built again.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Does it [the system literature] specifically say you have a slot, or does it say you have pci-e video? This is an old gimmic used by OEM's, they put onboard video and say it's AGP video, or in this case PCI-E video, which isn't a lie. There just isn't an actual slot. In your case there is a place on the board for the connector, but they didn't put it on the board.

sailer

Splendid
I think you got ripped off, the same as I was a few years ago when I bought an Emachine for my son when he went to colleg. It said 128 mg AGP graphics, but turned out to have the equivalent of 128 mg graphics, not a separate AGP slot ond card. The real graphics system was run off the cpu. I bought a 128 mg pci board and stuck it in a slot which helped the computer go faster and teh screen looked a lot better. I also learned a lesson; never buy an Emachine again.

Avadann_Kedeth

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
That's a common practice for Emachines. They won't give you squat for it either. It's a corner they cut to save money at your expense. Never buy from them again, their computers are rubbish.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This is the problem with buying from the big name system builders, they get proprietary hardware from manufacturers that you can't find support for. They make up their own form factors, and you can forget about expansion...anyone taken a look inside a low budget Dell lately?

sailer

Splendid
This is the problem with buying from the big name system builders, they get proprietary hardware from manufacturers that you can't find support for. They make up their own form factors, and you can forget about expansion...anyone taken a look inside a low budget Dell lately?

No, I haven't taken a look inside a Dell recently, and I don't want to.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
all emachines are POS POS POS!!!!! My dad had one and it is definitely POS. FYi, emachine was started by a group of ppl that sell cheap PCs. When they got bought by Gateway, all the ppl working for emachine made lots of money from the deal. So you probably can't even RMA it.