Question No performance boost after overclock

Sammyslamma

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Hey guys,
Just spent the last 8 hours overclocking an i5-4690K from 3.5ghz to 4.4ghz and have been running benchmark tests with 0% - 2% performance boosts and benchmark scoring.
Decided to give good old Minecraft a run to see if it made a difference and nope, absolutely no fps improvements. Then overclocked a GTX 1660Ti as well, from 1860 - 2100Mhz and loaded up MC again. No change whatsoever. Running a potato game (with shaders on and off), with both the CPU and GPU should give me at least some improvement, not nothing.
Been running CPU-ID, CPU-Z, AIDA64 for stress testing and benchmarking, RealTemp (max 65C) and they all give me the proper values but no performance boost whatsoever.

I noticed whilst running MC, (before and after OC) if I looked in the direction of hundreds of farm animals my fps drops in half, but upon checking the monitoring software, it doesn't actually draw anymore performance from the CPU or the GPU. What's the point of overclocking your pc if the programs you use won't take advantage of the extra power? Do I need to be playing a different game that actually utilises resource intensive requirements?

Hey guys,
Just spent the last 8 hours overclocking an i5-4690K from 3.5ghz to 4.4ghz and have been running benchmark tests with 0% - 2% performance boosts and benchmark scoring.
How exactly did you overclock it? If you didn't do it properly the CPU is just gonna turbo boost to the default 3.5Ghz when all cores are loaded. On single threaded benchmarks, 4.4Ghz is only a 12% oc over the single core 3.9Ghz boost so you won't see much of a difference overall.

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
Common myth you cant just crank your clocks up and expect better results. For example on my PC I actually get better fps if I underclock my memory and overclock my GPU ( I also run fan speeds at 100% all the time for max cooling) What software are you using to OC? Is it the default GPU Software or are you using something else?
PS if Minecraft is what youre attempting to get better FPS on, there are very good work around video tutorials on how to speed it up via Java, memory allocation etc.

Sammyslamma

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
RGD1101:
Specs:
GTX 1660Ti
i5-4690K
Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold
16GB Vengeance Pro

Temps before OC at (3.5ghz base clock) are ~40C
Temps after OC at 4.4Ghz reach ~60-65C
All usage sits between 10-50% usage depending on where I look in MC. No change after OC.

Third-eye
Turned off Turbo Boost in BIOS and did the usual process, increase core clock multiplier from 35 to 44 in one step increments, increasing voltage (in 0.025v steps) from 1.031v to 1.25v as per needed whenever a crash occurred. Temperatures never exceed 65C whilst using AIDA64 to stress test CPU. All 4 cores going at once. No difference between 3.5, 3.9 Turbo Boost or 4.4ghz OC.

DarkwingMkII
Used MSI Afterburner to OC gpu, used BIOS to OC cpu. I dedicated 8gb of my 16gb RAM to MC (in installation settings) and it seems to utilise 90%+ of the memory, but no fps change or boost.

When no OC is running, MC hits 200 fps when playing normally and 70fps when I look at animals.
Turning on OC causes absolutely no change, exactly the same frame rate. Tested it on a couple of other games and getting same results, no change in fps. The only change occurs when I reduce the graphics settings in game.

I dedicated 8gb of my 16gb RAM to MC (in installation settings) and it seems to utilise 90%+ of the memory, but no fps change or boost.

When no OC is running, MC hits 200 fps when playing normally and 70fps when I look at animals.
Turning on OC causes absolutely no change, exactly the same frame rate. Tested it on a couple of other games and getting same results, no change in fps. The only change occurs when I reduce the graphics settings in game.
You really don't want to allocate more than 4GB to Minecraft and even that is only needed when using mods. It can cause issues and sometimes lower fps. Also, Minecraft is a terrible measure of the CPUs performance because the fps varies so wildly. I'd suggest using a different game with built in benchmarking tools.