No Performance Difference after GPU Upgrades!

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Hi folks,

Before i go into the issue, here are my rig details:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 + Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS v2
AM3 Mobo (JW) PCI-E 2.0
8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
120 GB SSD + 320 GB HDD
500 W pure 80+ Bronze PSU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC 2GB GDDR5
60hz LED monitor 1366x768p

Now, my problem is, just recently upgraded the GPU from GT 1030, installed the GTX 1050 without probs, reinstall and update Driver, reboot etc.

But when it cames to playing games (mostly steam) the performance (FPS) is EXACT same as my previous GT 1030 even on 768p resolution. The FPS is at exact same level as previous GT 1030.

I have tried drivers reinstallation, steam and games reinstallation but none working so far, think i should clean install my Win 10?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Don't look at total cpu usage because most likely the game isn't using 4 cores. If you look per core and 1 is 100%, then that's the issue. Upgrading monitor may see a difference with 1030 vs 1050 but the cpu is still going to be an issue. If you don't have the budget for decent cpu mobo ram, you are spending more money in the long run upgrading more often. Ocing would be the cheapest solution although you may need a better cooler.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Okay you have a few problems here:
1) You are playing on 768p meaning not as much stress will be on the GPU but on the CPU which I suspect will be nearly maxed or maxed out. Lower resolutions take the load from the GPU and pass it to the CPU.
2) Instead of simply reinstalling drivers. Use DDU to clean uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the most current one.
3) Your CPU is very old and weak and will hold back any new gen card.

Just because a cpu is old does not mean it will hold back any new gen card. It can perfectly handle a 1030 which is actually weaker than it can handle. Moving to a 1050 would require either ocing the cpu or moving up in res so the cpu is less of a concern. Oc the cpu would make a decently balanced system. Lower res doesn't put more load on the cpu, the gpu just has less work so the cpu ends up being the limiting factor. Reinstalling isn't going to do anything and ddu is only needed if there are issues.

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Thanks guys for your insight, i knew that my CPU, Mobo and RAM speed maybe the limiting factors here,

I just also tried clean install my win 10 and indeed NOTHING CHANGE on the gaming performance! :hum: 20ish FPS on Splinter Cell: Blacklist 768p is just unbelievable for a GTX 1050 right?

So what do you guys think best, should i upgrade the whole Mobo+CPU+RAM or simply upgrading the monitor will do fine enough?

Oh yea one more thing, in any games i played, the CPU usage never reach more than 90% and the Temperature during intensive AAA games is always cool below 60 C

Don't look at total cpu usage because most likely the game isn't using 4 cores. If you look per core and 1 is 100%, then that's the issue. Upgrading monitor may see a difference with 1030 vs 1050 but the cpu is still going to be an issue. If you don't have the budget for decent cpu mobo ram, you are spending more money in the long run upgrading more often. Ocing would be the cheapest solution although you may need a better cooler.

Solution

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Usage per core is also low on AAA games but the 4 cores are indeed very fluctuactive, the range is 50-80% usage on each core.

Actually i had to choose between upgrading to 1080p Monitor or CPU Mobo RAM (planning on G4560 + H110m+ 8GB DDR4), if i change to that system will the 768p monitor still be an issue?

OR

Ugrading the CPU with more powerful phenom Series such as X6 1090T will help?

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Noted, so if i upgrade to current gen system (Kabylake CPU) does my 768p monitor will still be an issue if i play 768p games?

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Just recently take a closer look during the games, The GPU usage is very low at only 10ish% while the CPU usage is at above 90% at all times

So this is indeed CPU bottlenecking then? and severe one i guess