[SOLVED] No performance improvement after significant upgrade ?

Came12on

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
Hi all.

After following advice from a previous thread, I decided to upgrade my cpu and ram. The problem is, I've seen little/no performance increase in warzone (which I'm told is cpu hungry). I'll get about 75-90 fps on rebirth map with high or medium textures. But this is what I would get before the upgrade. (My fps even dropped to 60 as I looked across the map from one of the far corners)

I've been told on Facebook I must be 'doing something wrong' so I've I've to seek any knowledge in what I could be doing wrong.

Old rig:
1070gtx
Ryzen 5 2600
2400mhz ram
Steel legend mobo

New rig:
1070gtx
Ryzen 5 5600x
3200mhz ram
Steel legend

Solution
When your cores are at 60°, you might see 42.8 x6. At 62° you'll see 42.8 x5 and 42.3 x1, by 68°C you may see 42.8 x4 and 41.5 x2 etc.

By the time you are seeing 87° you've got 1x 41.5 and 5x 39.8 and voltages are at @ 1.425v ish. (not exact numbers). That's how Ryzen work with stock VID (VID is the voltage the VRM's supply, vcore is what the cpu demands from the VRM's + any LLC, SVI2 is what the cpu actually uses), they'll overload the voltage so the cpu guaranteed remain stable under higher workloads. That creates more heat than is necessary.

That's what CT2 does, it lowers VID and basically tells the cpu 'this is what you have to work with, so behave with the high demands, you don't need it'.

Lower VID = lower temps = higher...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It would "seem" as if your game wasn't CPU bound but bottlenecked (gosh I hate that term) by your GPU.
I am fairly certain that if you ran CPU based benchmarks that you would see significantly higher numbers, but on the desktop experience probably can't tell at all...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would look at it like this.

No one in their right mind (and not mining) can get a GPU of any powerful sort for a reasonable price right this moment. There is ZERO question that the 5600X is a far more powerful CPU than the 2600. The 5600X is considered variously in the top ten best gaming CPU available for the "desktop user" group. There is no doubt that when the GPU market corrects and you ARE able to source a decent one, that you are in a far better position to enjoy the frames now than you were before.

I am going on certain assumptions, things like, fresh install, proper chipset drivers, 'XMP' enabled and such as that. Lot of people like to think that updating the BIOS, swap a chip and don't realize there are other aspects to an upgrade for the OS to perform as it should.

Came12on

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
Lot of people like to think that updating the BIOS, swap a chip and don't realize there are other aspects to an upgrade for the OS to perform as it should.

Well could you perhaps share some things that should be done? As that was the point of my post, (to find out) haha. As I did just update the bios, and swap the chip. The ram is running at 3200

Most games are limited by graphics, and not the cpu.
Fast action games in particular.

Bottleneck calculators are considered as junk science.

The time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy.
I would have suggest ed that you try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Unfortunately, upgrading graphics at anything less than 2x MSRP is all but impossible.
At least you have a good graphics card that works.
5600x is an excellent processor.

Came12on

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
Thank you for the replies, apologies I didn't get notifications so didn't see them.

100 RENDER - HIGH GFX
https://ibb.co/CnCmzTs

MINIMUM RENDER RES (66) - HIGH GFX
https://ibb.co/B4mmCsH

MIN RENDER - LOW GFX
https://ibb.co/g6MwwqB

100 RENDER - LOW GFX
https://ibb.co/Z1VFBw2

What is your cooling like, including your case.
The 5 series needs far better cooling so if you had trouble keeping the 2600 cool then the 5600x has no chance at all, the wraith stealth doesn't cut it.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/cpu-optimizer.html
I just checked my cpu temp in warzone and it got to 87 Degrees. (I Hadn't thought to check that before) My cooling is just the stock cpu cooler
Also that link is for intel not amd?

CORE TEMP INFO
https://ibb.co/hYB1WwD

Again thanks for the help. I will keep checking for replies this time as i don't seem to get notified anymore.

My cooling is just the stock cpu cooler
your cooling setup would also include;
the case you are using and how the fans are arranged within.

stock CPU coolers already do not provide adequate cooling for a decent gaming system.
but if there is not enough cool air being pulled in
or warm air being exhausted out
than you are more than likely going to suffer from thermal throttling with your CPU and\or your GPU even more so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Came12on

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens are dynamic cpus, Intels are static cpus. Intels go 1 speed until they top out in temps and eventually shutdown. Ryzens change boost levels according to voltage use and temps.

So if you are hitting 87°C, that cpu started dropping clocks at 60°C, you basically end up with similar performance to the 2600 since your 5600x is running at similar if not slower clocks.

Get the temps down, boost goes up, performance goes up.

Might want to check out ClockTuner 2.0 at guru3d.com, run a Cinebench R20 before you start, just to see where you are starting from, then let CT2 do its thing (takes a while) and see where you end up. Dropping VID goes a long way to temp regulation and consequently performance increase.

Came12on

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
Ryzens are dynamic cpus, Intels are static cpus. Intels go 1 speed until they top out in temps and eventually shutdown. Ryzens change boost levels according to voltage use and temps.

So if you are hitting 87°C, that cpu started dropping clocks at 60°C, you basically end up with similar performance to the 2600 since your 5600x is running at similar if not slower clocks.
I mean I did look this up last night and apparently 87 is normal for the 5600x. But I did order a new case and a new cpu cooler also 😎

Came12on

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
your cooling setup would also include;
the case you are using and how the fans are arranged within.

Honestly the setup is poor but since my 1070 never gets too hot I thought it was fine...
Stock fan on the back of the case, and I have the top of the side panel unnatached and leaning to let out more hot air. Ordered a new case with a front and back fan.

New cooler: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08NPNGT6D/

New case
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6B359S

Last edited:
that is a crazy looking case. kind of like the white version though.
apparently 87 is normal for the 5600x
it may be reported by many users that they are reaching this temperature, which may lead to it being called "normal".
but it's only because they also don't have adequate cooling and they would also be suffering from thermal throttling.

like many users claiming it's fine and "normal" for their GPU to reach 70-80°,
but with a lot of modern cards that will also limit the core boost available which can also limit performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When your cores are at 60°, you might see 42.8 x6. At 62° you'll see 42.8 x5 and 42.3 x1, by 68°C you may see 42.8 x4 and 41.5 x2 etc.

By the time you are seeing 87° you've got 1x 41.5 and 5x 39.8 and voltages are at @ 1.425v ish. (not exact numbers). That's how Ryzen work with stock VID (VID is the voltage the VRM's supply, vcore is what the cpu demands from the VRM's + any LLC, SVI2 is what the cpu actually uses), they'll overload the voltage so the cpu guaranteed remain stable under higher workloads. That creates more heat than is necessary.

That's what CT2 does, it lowers VID and basically tells the cpu 'this is what you have to work with, so behave with the high demands, you don't need it'.

Lower VID = lower temps = higher boosts. And since the Ryzen can afford to now boost cores higher, it'll do so, so the cpu remains at 87°, but runs faster. It's a dance, a balancing act between loads, voltages, temps and boosts.

If you had sufficient cooling to get all cores down close to 60ish °C, you'd see all cores at max boost.

As far as facebook goes, he may have the same type of cpu, even the same type of ram, but that doesn't mean they are the same as far as settings goes. He might have tighter timings, different sub timings, higher fclock, lower voltages and temps, higher boosts, less background loads, a more streamlined process which gets him higher fps, so that's his basis for assumption.

Forget about the game results. Dial in the cpu, manually set fclock for 1600 (don't rely on Auto), get the VID down, get your ram timings/subtimings optimized, use cinebench and time spy to check findings and scores, and optimize your cpu for performance. Then worry about fps output, if you even need to by then. That might require fresh windows install, ccleaner + registry clean, update chipset drivers, DDU/fresh install of gpu drivers etc.

Last edited:
Solution

Came12on

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
use cinebench and time spy to check findings and scores, and optimize your cpu for performance.

I'm going to try wrap my head around a lot of what you were suggesting here when I get my new case and cooler installed.

But for now, I ran the cinebench test and the results look normal/good?

Also, this is a bit strange... Just checked open hardware monitor and... two temps are at 90 idle on my mobo?

Last edited: