[SOLVED] No picture on a sharp television I found in trash

Jan 17, 2019
I found and old Sharpe LC TV, in great condition. The onscreen menu works perfectly, and I was able to locate the FACTORY RESET, and reset the TV, after which I attached my, COX Cable wire, my ROKU box, and my laptop computer into the HD inputs, using an HD wire but no picture came on? No matter what I tried. Oddly, the ROKU logo and sound were visible when I first plugged in the box, but also followed with a dark screen. HELP. Why is the signal not getting to the television? My cable, ROKU and laptop all work perfectly and connect to my VISIO TV? Someone said it could be my memory board? Can someone guide me through the process of seeing if there is a block in the setting from the previous owner? I would hate to throw it back to the curb. Model #LC52SB57UN

Solution

With TVs these days internally there is 2 major parts, a controller board, and the screen. Clearly the screen isn't smashed and displays something. So its probably the board. These boards aren't serviceable unless its a power issue involving a capacitor or some such which is probably not your problem, they just get replaced. That TV is a 2010 model, so the likelihood of parts is low. And as Wolfshadw mentioned, depending on your location it may cost you to even get an estimate. Around here in NY nobody is taking your Tv...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Shocking, a TV found in the trash, has no picture.

If it was just a block in the settings, the person would likely not have tossed it out. Having owned a late model sharp TV, I can tell you there is no such setting, the setting is - THE TV IS BROKEN.

Toss it. (in the recycle bin)

Jan 17, 2019

I live in a poor area where people possibly do not know how to repair things. What a silly answer.

Jan 17, 2019

How about if I take it for a free estimate to an authorized service center? And what if I can fixx for under $100.00. Then, I ask? What is the purpose of this website if every response is rude. And it was not IN THE TRASH....it was near the trash by the curb...like in JAPAN people put things for others by the curb.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If I'm going to put a working item at the curb I put a quick craigslist ad up, or I at least put a note on it "free! working!" YOU said the words in the title "No picture on a sharp television I found in trash"

Sure you could take it for a free estimate, but thats not what you asked, you asked a question as if someone would do some ridiculous thing to disable it (which I clearly answered doesn't exist).

Hey maybe you'll get lucky. But personally I wouldn't just toss such a large (52 inch) and expensive TV if I hadn't inquired on getting it fixed first. With it being 9 years old, getting parts for it are unlikely, and if the screen is bad you may as well buy a new one.

How do I know this? My father is literally a TV repairman.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry for the confusion. It's just that your thread title states:

No picture on a sharp television I found in trash

Kind of leads us to believe it was actually in the trash and not just near a trash bin.

As for your supposed "free estimate", I suppose that depends on where you are located. Where I am (Minnesota, USA), we cannot just leave our electronics in the trash (or near the trash). If it's found there, we can be fined. What we are supposed to do is take it to a recycling center for disposal. Some places, like Best Buy will charge you to dispose of it, but will give you a gift card of equal value for their store.

Taking it to a service center meant I had to leave a deposit (to cover the cost of recycling) on the off chance I simply abandoned it there. The estimate for my HDTV was $35 (not free). The recycling fee was $35, so it would have cost me $70 just to find out IF it could be repaired.

Again. Don't know what your situation might be like.

-Wolf sends

Jan 17, 2019
Perhaps this will help? I can see an image on the screen, and the TV has sound. However, NO SIGNAL from Cable, or my laptop seem to be getting to the TV from the HD inputs. Any idea what could be wrong?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

With TVs these days internally there is 2 major parts, a controller board, and the screen. Clearly the screen isn't smashed and displays something. So its probably the board. These boards aren't serviceable unless its a power issue involving a capacitor or some such which is probably not your problem, they just get replaced. That TV is a 2010 model, so the likelihood of parts is low. And as Wolfshadw mentioned, depending on your location it may cost you to even get an estimate. Around here in NY nobody is taking your Tv apart for free, especially because of how often people say "no" when they realize a new 60" TV can be had for $500.

Solution