No picture when GPU installed in first PCI-E port.

Exterm

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I built a computer for my sister with a ASUS M5A97 R2 Mobo and a Radeon 460 GPU. A weird problem cropped up where the GPU will only give out signal when plugged into the second PCI-E port. When plugged into the top port no signal goes to the screen.

What can the reason for this behaviour be? The store where we ordered the parts had a look at it and updated the BIOS, since the Mobo is from an older generation of hardware than the GPU is.

It does work with the GPU in the second port, but I've read that that port only works at 8x speed while the first port works at 16x speed.

Solution
Hey man,

1. Go in BIOS and check if all PCI-E slots are enabled (if you have that option), enable them if any is disabled.
2. Clean primary PCI-E slot with compressed air or with isopropyl alcohol and then try your card in primary slot, just make sure you follow all the rules when cleaning PC components.

If those two don't help then there is high probability that you or they "shorted" your primary PCI-E slot and you are damned to use 2nd one. :)
If it's under warranty then just replace it.

Peace!

cyber-what

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Hey man,

1. Go in BIOS and check if all PCI-E slots are enabled (if you have that option), enable them if any is disabled.
2. Clean primary PCI-E slot with compressed air or with isopropyl alcohol and then try your card in primary slot, just make sure you follow all the rules when cleaning PC components.

If those two don't help then there is high probability that you or they "shorted" your primary PCI-E slot and you are damned to use 2nd one. :)
If it's under warranty then just replace it.

Peace!

Solution

Exterm

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Okay, I will tell them to check it. Since my sister attempted to build the rig herself with next to no knowledge, it seems pretty plausible that the port is damaged from n00b-handling :p
But since it is working as it is now, getting a new mobo and reinstall everything seems unnecessary. I just wanted to know the reasons behind it :p

TRENDING THREADS