No Picture

killian6pk

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I have repaired my Dell 17" LCD (or at least thought I had). It would power on and within a few seconds the screen would go blank and the power button was on and green. Found a few bad capacitors and replaced them. Screen powered up just fine and ran for several hours with no problems. When I shut the computer down the screen went white and turning off the power button had no affect. I had to unplug it to get it to turn off. Anyone have any ideas? My first thought is a short somewhere. But I don't know where to begin to look.

Solution
G
Check you soldering ? I have done the same operation on two Viewsonic monitors -- what's with these Chinese capacitors ?
G

Check you soldering ? I have done the same operation on two Viewsonic monitors -- what's with these Chinese capacitors ?

Solution

killian6pk

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

It is like everything else in this country. Built to be obsolete the day after the warranty expires. The biggest problem appears to be the heat build up in these things. Make sure you use 105 degree caps with the highest rated life (2000 hrs or more) that you can find.

G

I think it's substandard components. The failures occurred in England -- not known for hot weather -- and happened some years apart. One of the monitors was brand new and barely worked out of the box.

Thanks for the tip on ratings, though.