Question No post after cpu upgrade?

Jun 4, 2021
Please stick to 1 thread
I made a forum recently about upgrading my cpu from the r3 3200g to a r5 5600x in a asrock b550 phantom gaming 4 motherboard. The cpu was incompatible in the motherboard but still ran on the base version of the BIOS for the motherboard for some reason. I have gotten the new cpu tried to install and it wont boot now. I upgraded the BIOS to 1.90 to support the new ryzen chips flashed the BIOS and it started up just fine. I then turned off the machine unpowered and then unplugged everything. Put the new cpu in and installed the fan into the CPU fan slot and now she wont even post the motherboard screen. I put the other cpu back in and it still wont post the motherboard screen. I'm desperately needing any suggestions as I just spent 315 dollars to break my pc I guess.

Jun 4, 2021
Okay update Idk how but I let it sit for like 3 minutes and rebooted it and it booted with the old cpu I checked the BIOS and the update was taken to 1.9 so the question is why is it not taking the new cpu?

Jun 4, 2021
The computer acts as if its trying to boot the fans spin lights come on but then no screen displays then after maybe 5 10 seconds it seems like it try's to boot again fans spin up harder and then back down then restart every 10 15 seconds

Jun 4, 2021
The computer acts as if its trying to boot the fans spin lights come on but then no screen displays then after maybe 5 10 seconds it seems like it try's to boot again fans spin up harder and then back down then restart every 10 15 seconds
My friend said that the cpu might of came dead but that wouldnt make sense to me because it still acts as if it's going to boot

Jun 4, 2021
I recently bought a ryzen 5 5600x I have a b550 asrock phantom gaming 4 motherboard when I had the old cpu in I flash the BIOS to v1.90. I then went into BIOS again and restored to default bios settings like the install told me to do. After I do all that it still boots and runs fine. I unpowered the computer turned the power off and waited 2 minutes. I then unplugged everything and then unplugged the fan unlocked the cpu removed it. Removed the r5 from packaging seated it immediately then relocked then fastened the fan down and double checked everything was plugged in still properly. I plug everything in turn on the power and the computer now wont boot at all. I dont get what I did wrong or why the cpu wont boot I had this problem before and I returned the cpu to bestbuy thinking it was dead. Got another in store this time instead of shipping it and I'm having the exact same problem. I dont understand why it wont boot amd the only thing I've changed is the CPU I didnt even touched anything else! Please help as I dont want to look dumb returning a second cpu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2021
I ran a 65watt cpu before this the r5 is also a 65 watt. I have a
ASROCK b550 phantom gaming 4 BIOS v1.90
550 watt evga psu
Msi 1650 super
2 sticks of ddr4 3200 LPX vengeance black
And the cpu is in question atm

Jun 4, 2021
I am leaning towards it being either the power supply or the motherboard. I've done some research and figured out ram can draw over 200 watts the motherboard is 135 watts and the gpu being around 100 watts plus the cpu puts me around 500 which to me seems still okay but again I could be wrong.
Or there is something wrong with the motherboard and the BIOS isnt updating properly and taking the new CPU (r5 5600x) any suggestions would be appreciated

Jun 4, 2021
Definitely on the latest BIOS version?

Does your motherboard have Q flash? Should be a small button on the back of it that allows you to flash it via a USB without a CPU installed.
100% I have checked inside the BIOS and its v1.90 and inside system information its says v1.90
and no I don't the BIOS update seems to have taken properly though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This might be a silly question but since two processors have failed to display and since 3200g works that you are using the graphics card video ports yeah? Because motherboard video ports won't work without an igpu which the 3200g has but not the 5600x. Gpu video doesn't route through the motherboard so check video cable is being connected to the card directly.

Jun 4, 2021
This might be a silly question but since two processors have failed to display and since 3200g works that you are using the graphics card video ports yeah? Because motherboard video ports won't work without an igpu which the 3200g has but not the 5600x. Gpu video doesn't route through the motherboard so check video cable is being connected to the card directly.
Yes sir I only use one monitor a Lenovo G27C-10 and it is connected through the MSI 1650 Super and not the motherboard HDMI.

Jun 4, 2021
TLDR/ANSWER;
Bad motherboard now and will probably only ever accept the cpu in it now / RMA for new mobo

Seems like from a technician I spoke to because I used the 3200g in the motherboard it may have corrupted some form of the BIOS or way it reads the chip. The motherboard isnt intended to have a igpu in it at all and running a cpu with the igpu even though i never used it can have some problems. I have a warranty on the product but im instead going to remove the GPU build a new system with my old ram gpu. Eat the 200 for a new motherboard and then use the old mobo and cpu as a home PC for my gram as she will never need a independent GPU and after running some tests the computer boots and runs without the GPU at all which isnt supposed to be a thing. I thank anyone who took the time to check this post and anyone having the same issue I hope this helps.