Question No Post after housefire?

May 29, 2024
6 months ago, i had a low oxygen fire that did massive smoke and soot damge.
very lil heat structure damage and fire was far away from computer which wasnt running at the time as i was out of town.

my mac powers up and works fine but my homebuilt new last year computer powers on and graphis cards led lights go on etc but i dont hear any post beeps nor does any output come out of graphics cards hdmi ports

if it matters i have a Msi tomohawk mobo with ryzen 2600 6 core and corsair ram 8 gb
with rx580 graphics card and evga 650 g5 psu

the mobo, gpu, and psu are new last yr but cpu, liquid cooler and memory are from last board/build.

i cleaned all visible soot with contact cleaner and qtips, still a slight smell but no post or video.
i cant remember if theres onboard post speaker or not but right now im relying on monitor audio, so possible just video output lacking

how do i diagnose if this is a graphics thing or memory or cpu or mobo?
will post about new problems with new laptop cuz of this fire

Ralston18

Titan
Very unfortunate. However, I trust that no one was hurt.

Was the cause of the fire electrical: meaning could the homebuilt and other systems have been exposed to an electrical power surge?

And the new homebuilt has not worked at all since the fire - correct?

What about the monitor? Are you able to test the homebuilt with another known working monitor?

Swap in a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elmination.

Check to see if there is indeed an onboard speaker. If not determine if a speaker can be installed for testing purposes. Any beep codes likely to be helpful.

Which MSI motherboard model/version?

Verify RAM: only corsair ram 8 gb? I would expect more RAM to have been installed.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

May 29, 2024
Very unfortunate. However, I trust that no one was hurt. CAT N DOG PERISHED

Was the cause of the fire electrical: meaning could the homebuilt and other systems have been exposed to an electrical power surge?NOT AN ELECTRICAL FIRE

And the new homebuilt has not worked at all since the fire - correct?NOPE

What about the monitor? TRIED TV HDMI INPUT, NOTHING

Are you able to test the homebuilt with another known working monitor? YUP GOT A NEW MONITOR THAT WORKS ON SAME CABLE FROM LAPTOP OUTPUT

Swap in a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elmination. HAVE TO GO BUY ONE

Check to see if there is indeed an onboard speaker. If not determine if a speaker can be installed for testing purposes. Any beep codes likely to be helpful. DONT SEE A SPEAKER OR ANYTHING HOOKED UP TO MOBO SPEAKER PINS , BUT DO SEE DEBUGGING LEDS THAT DONT LIGHT UP DESPITE ALL FANS, RGB GPU ALL LIGHTING UP ETC

Which MSI motherboard model/version?TOMOHAWK MAX ARSENAL GAMING MS 7C02 version 3.0

Verify RAM: only corsair ram 8 gb? I would expect more RAM to have been installed. Corsair vengeance 2x4 14-16-16-31 ver 3.22. from a previous build, so i didnt go for 2x8 GB

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full? samsung 960 EVO mostly empty. this also doesnt work in new laptop but might be just a compatabilityn issue im unaware of

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.5.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable manual. Version may or may not be a concern.]

Moving boot drives between computers is problematic: may work, may not work, may work with continual problems.

= = = =

My suggestion is a complete rebuild with more cleaning and use of a bright flashlight to look for other signs of damage.

Check around the motherboard stand-offs; both sides. Could be a short somewhere.

Use the manual as a checklist to inspect, test, reconnect etc.. Pay close attention to case and I/O panel connections. Try a known working drive with a clean Windows install.

If and as possible test all components individually in other known working computers.

May 29, 2024
looks to be correct manual

disassembeled everything and continued cleaning but never found anything unusual exept one loose mobo screw

reassembled with gpu in other slot, NOTHING

with NO GPU and mobo led debug lite did not lite up saying failed or missing gpu

tried with ssd hdd in slot 1 with nvme removed, nothing

Im running out of ideas?

now thinking of replacing entire build and hope insurance covers some or all of it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Smoke particulates carry all sorts of badness with them. Component circuitry was likely coated with those particulates and damaged the first time power was applied to the system.

Swap all the guts and hope that your storage devices are intact. Sounds like you don't have a full backup capability. Something to think about after all of this.

At a minimum, assume the motherboard is toast.

May 29, 2024
what does it mean if the power button will start the computer, still no post but all fans etc come on but that same button will not turn off or even reset the computer with reset button?

May 29, 2024
I means (likely) that the motherboard is defective.
does mobo being defective explain no video output as well?

is there much advantage going to next generation MSI Tomohawk the B550 or B650?
[only gaming i do these days is age of empires]
cuz the downside is cost of new cpu/cooler, probly memory will be needed
[new cooler isnt such a bad thing since i had to modify/fab new mounting brackets to get this silent liquid cooler secure on B450 anyways, it works but major pita factor attaching/re-attacching, takes an hour instead of minutes]
-i would like the ability of builtin wifi for when living out of hotels while working out of town
-not sure what else the B550/650 will gain me besides topend performance

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do you have another system or a friend with an older 'standard' system that you can use to test some of the hardware? Should be relatively easy to eliminate some of the parts as damaged. I would not recommend putting these parts into someone's new or main system.

May be worthwhile to purchase one of the inexpensive PSU testers off Amazon/etc. as it will eliminate the PSU turning on with proper voltage to the rails.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For complete lack of power, main suspect would be PSU, bridge pins 16 & 17 on PSU and see if it powers on,

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/explo...ply-units/how-to-test-a-psu-power-supply-unit

If it does this basic power-on test, you can check the rest of the power outputs with a multimeter, or for convenience, get an aforementioned basic PSU tester from Amazon.

I think this is your problem. But if PSU passes above checks, then you'll need a working PC to check each part--which as you noted likely means putting together a new build.

I believe the first post referenced signs of life but no post/video.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
does mobo being defective explain no video output as well?

is there much advantage going to next generation MSI Tomohawk the B550 or B650?
[only gaming i do these days is age of empires]
cuz the downside is cost of new cpu/cooler, probly memory will be needed
[new cooler isnt such a bad thing since i had to modify/fab new mounting brackets to get this silent liquid cooler secure on B450 anyways, it works but major pita factor attaching/re-attacching, takes an hour instead of minutes]
-i would like the ability of builtin wifi for when living out of hotels while working out of town
-not sure what else the B550/650 will gain me besides topend performance
Yes.

If you plan to upgrade the entire system, an AM5 system means a new CPU and memory, too (B650).

If you hope to recycle your current memory and CPU, assuming not damaged, then a AM4 B550 is the way to go.

Reactions: punkncat
May 29, 2024
local Uniway computer shop diagnosed it for $22cdn inc tax
-Gpu works
-PSU is good
couldnt test memory w/o removing liquid cooler

Best guess now looks like mobo and thats as close as i need cuz if its one of the three mobo/memory/Cpu, i intend to upgrade all three to AM5 system anyways

SO if im getting a new AM5 mobo, probly goin with MSI tomohawk B650 again- with the wifi
[unless theres some asus/gigabyte mobo thats more reliable/stable for similar price?]

1. WHats a very good reliable set of memory sticks 2x8GB? or maybe 2x16

2. Whats a good air/liquid cooler for say Ryzen 5700X3D cpu for silence rather than overclocking?[Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120]?

Last edited:
May 29, 2024
oh crap, good catch !
that wouldve been embarassing f up that would delay and complicate rebuild !

So whats best bang for the buck AM5 cpu equivalent to 5700x3D?

May 29, 2024
ok so is my EVGA 650W G5 PSU 80 plus ;
more than adequate for that Cpu paired with Rx580 Gpu 1 -120 mm case fan plus 2- 200 mm front fans plus those 2 cpu fans?