[SOLVED] No POST after installing new components

Vukson

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Hi there, this week I've been upgrading my PC as the parts came one by one. But after completing the build I can't seem to get POST up on my monitor. I'm assuming it might be a compatibility issue.

The parts are as following:
Mobo: MSI G41M-P28
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500
GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 740
RAM: Kingston 1x8GB DDR3 1600MHz

The previous parts with the same motherboard:
CPU: Intel Celeron E3400
GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 610
RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz

With the new parts, the motherboard beeped 3 times so I replaced the RAM but the issue presumed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may have some info on how to solve this.

Last edited:
Solution
Update:
Turns out, when I installed the new RAM and turned the PC on, the RAM took a bit more power than usual and fried the memory controller on the motherboard. That's why there wasn't even POST on the monitor.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I don't think that RAM is compatible, so it's not going to post or boot.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/G41M-P28#down-manual
"Memory 2 DDR3 1333 (OC)/1066/800 DIMM slots (8GB Max)"
it also lists a page where you can check compatibility, but it just redirects to the front page of MSI, so I guess they took it down.
I think the fastest ram it can handle, even with an overclock is 1333mhz.

You could try installing your old ram modules just to see if it would boot, but without the compatibility page to check it, it's really just guess work. Your best bet would probably be to send an email to MSI customer service and see what they have to say.

Reactions: Vukson

Vukson

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
I don't think that RAM is compatible, so it's not going to post or boot.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/G41M-P28#down-manual
"Memory 2 DDR3 1333 (OC)/1066/800 DIMM slots (8GB Max)"
it also lists a page where you can check compatibility, but it just redirects to the front page of MSI, so I guess they to6ok it down.
I think the fastest ram it can handle, even with an overclock is 1333mhz.

You could try installing your old ram modules just to see if it would boot, but without the compatibility page to check it, it's really just guess work. Your best bet would probably be to send an email to MSI customer service and see what they have to say.
I was thinking the RAM would get downclocked to the next functioning frequency. I'll see with the store if they would change it up for 2 x 4GB sticks.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I was thinking the RAM would get downclocked to the next functioning frequency. I'll see with the store if they would change it up for 2 x 4GB sticks.
Normally it should, but I like to check what the motherboard manufacturers tested and confirmed themselves. They may still have an offline record of what they've tested and confirmed.

Also, are you doing the installing and replacing yourself? I ask because when I built my first computer I was surprised with how firm you have to press to properly seat the RAM. I always put a finger behind the board so it didn't bend on me, yet I was sure it went all the way in.

Lastly, on page 20 of the manual it talks about shorting the jumper to reset the CMOS, although pulling the battery should work fine. When I've had to do it on my motherboards I just use a flat head screwdriver and touch the 2 pins. I always make sure the power cord is out when I do this as well.

Vukson

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Normally it should, but I like to check what the motherboard manufacturers tested and confirmed themselves. They may still have an offline record of what they've tested and confirmed.

Also, are you doing the installing and replacing yourself? I ask because when I built my first computer I was surprised with how firm you have to press to properly seat the RAM. I always put a finger behind the board so it didn't bend on me, yet I was sure it went all the way in.

Lastly, on page 20 of the manual it talks about shorting the jumper to reset the CMOS, although pulling the battery should work fine. When I've had to do it on my motherboards I just use a flat head screwdriver and touch the 2 pins. I always make sure the power cord is out when I do this as well.
I did try with shorting the jumper, still no progress.
And when I replace the new RAM with the old one the beeping stops but it still won't boot.
I'll contact MSI support and see if they got any clue on what might be causing the problem. Thanks for the help!

Vukson

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Update:
Turns out, when I installed the new RAM and turned the PC on, the RAM took a bit more power than usual and fried the memory controller on the motherboard. That's why there wasn't even POST on the monitor.

Solution